Ambassadeur 7500C high speed

Started by weather_man, October 19, 2015, 06:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weather_man

Found this Abu reel at the flea market yesterday and paid 35 dollars for it (It felt like I got a good deal). I don't know much about it; regardless, it seems to be in good condition but will need some TLC to be really nice. Everything seems to be functioning correctly as is, so I plan to take  it out a few times before I break it open.

I have done some research on this forums on how to go about upgrading reels but would still appreciate any inputs regarding this specific one. I look forward to this being my first official venture into reel maintenance/upgrading. I also found and old Penn Peerless no. 9 for 16 bucks... I'm  good now, I think I have all the reels I need.

Lunker Larry

You picked an easy reel to start on.Find the right schematic with the correct foot number for your reel. A set of greased CF drag washers is pretty much all you'd need for this reel.
Good luck.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

weather_man

Quote from: Lunker Larry on October 19, 2015, 11:39:53 PM
You picked an easy reel to start on.Find the right schematic with the correct foot number for your reel. A set of greased CF drag washers is pretty much all you'd need for this reel.
Good luck.

Will do. I took it out for a spin tonight and it is a very nice reel. Casted out with no problems. I was hoping to hook into a nice red but no go. I can see this reel quickly becoming one of my favorites already. Besides the CF washers, I just need to get it nice and clean and I think a better handle is in order. Thanks for the advise LL.

weather_man

I am having a lot of trouble finding the schematic for this reel. I tried searching Abu Garcia online database but no luck. The foot number is 01 02-04,

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Lunker Larry

I don't know about others, but there are times I can't find the exact schematic for the older reels. Sometimes you have to open them up and compare them to a similar reel. Here's a few schematics.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/thumbnails.php?search=Ambassadeur+7000&submit=search&album=search&title=on&newer_than=&caption=on&older_than=&keywords=on&type=AND
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

weather_man

Quote from: Lunker Larry on October 20, 2015, 06:25:59 PM
I don't know about others, but there are times I can't find the exact schematic for the older reels. Sometimes you have to open them up and compare them to a similar reel. Here's a few schematics.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/thumbnails.php?search=Ambassadeur+7000&submit=search&album=search&title=on&newer_than=&caption=on&older_than=&keywords=on&type=AND

Thanks, I did a little digging around and as I understand it; the Ambassadeur 7000 is basically the same reel as the 7500c except that the 7000 has brass bushings where a 7500c, has ball bearings. Other than that, the side plate covers are obviously different. The more I look into this reel, the better I feel about paying 35 bucks for it. I was only able to find a couple other pictures of my exact reel model on the internet. And it seems they are all in Europe. I can't wait to get it all cleaned up.

thorhammer

Assuming you get it clean as you want to, any functional Made in Sweden Abu is worth $35 in my book. That size of Abu (though now with 2+1AR bearing) new will run you close to two bills if not more, depending on configuration. I saw a Wild Blue Yonder 7500 a couple weeks back north of $250.

alantani

i work on so few of those that i can never remember how the left side clicker assembly goes back together.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Ceramic hybrid bearings and Carbontex drags and you will set!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

weather_man

Quote from: handi2 on October 20, 2015, 10:27:32 PM
Ceramic hybrid bearings and Carbontex drags and you will set!

On my way to the Google machine to research ceramic hybrid bearings. Hopefully I can find a place to order both the CF drag and the ceramic bearings.

LTM

Measure/mic your bearings and go to bocabearings.com then go to smoothdrag.com and order your drag washers there (Dawn is a sweet heart).

Leo

weather_man

Quote from: LTM on October 21, 2015, 01:38:22 AM
Measure/mic your bearings and go to bocabearings.com then go to smoothdrag.com and order your drag washers there (Dawn is a sweet heart).

Leo

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Took the left plate off just to see what I'm working with. A bit of old grease in there but I'm happy with my findings so far. It's polishing nicely too.

thorhammer

Oh yeah.....buy at $35 all dang day...all they have.

Tiddlerbasher

On my Ambassadeurs I lose the level wind - It will cast better without. Check the bearings if ok oil with tsi321/301 - if not ok goto Boca and replace. Greased CF drags for sure. I can't remember if the 7500c is auto or manual engage. If it's auto (when the handle is turned) be careful of unbalaced power handles - they can cause the spool to engage mid-cast - ping ;)