Fun Catch on the Pastime Princess

Started by Newell Nut, October 17, 2015, 09:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

We had a good catch all around the boat today with some fat AJs and I got a fat mango that I have not seen in a few weeks. We even got a nice file fish today. They look strange but sure are good cooked. We have high winds coming so it was nice to get today in since next week looks like a blow out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deepseafishingdaytona/albums/72157659566250060

BMITCH

Dwight, what the heck is that nasty balled up mess in the photo about half way thru.?😝
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

handi2

Thanks for posting. Those Trigger Fish are my favorite.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

Dwight what name of the fish that looks like a pompano?  We caught 2 of those today.  I'll post some photos and do fishing report.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

conchydong

Nice variety Dwight. I see you are getting lots of Juvenile Red Snappers and small Triggers. I wonder how the new size limit on Triggers will work out in the next few years. The Unicorn Filefish is good eating although most folks do not know that. Good for Sashimi also. In South Florida, the winds have already arrived but it is supposed to get worse by Tuesday (25-30knots).

Scott

Newell Nut

Quote from: conchydong on October 18, 2015, 12:47:25 AM
Nice variety Dwight. I see you are getting lots of Juvenile Red Snappers and small Triggers. I wonder how the new size limit on Triggers will work out in the next few years. The Unicorn Filefish is good eating although most folks do not know that. Good for Sashimi also. In South Florida, the winds have already arrived but it is supposed to get worse by Tuesday (25-30knots).

Scott

Lately we are seeing a lot of Red Snapper under 5 lb and the little ones are a good sign. Spring and early summer is when we see the big ones move in. I guess a lot of people would not eat a file fish because it looks weird. Sure cooks up nice and light. The first one that I have ever seen in the area was two years ago.

Alto Mare

Nice report buddy, everyone had a smile on except the last guy all the way down, and he had the largest fish ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 18, 2015, 02:05:43 AM
Nice report buddy, everyone had a smile on except the last guy all the way down, and he had the largest fish ;D
Sal

That guy fishes regular and I don't think I have ever seen him smile. That was no the biggest fish. Closer to the top of the pics my buddy Ryan has an AJ about 15 lb heavier and my buddy Larry won the JP with one bigger than his but no picture was taken of his.

Dominick, I don't know which fish you think looks like a pompano unless it is the bar jack with the black stripe on its head or the file fish. Just guessing. You and Sal need to show up some time next spring and try it a few days. Fishing is actually good from now to July but the weather in the winter can blow a Northeastern at times and keep us at the dock.

Alto Mare

Would love to, but it has to work with the schedule, spring isn't easy. Of course I would need a head start, I would probably drive down, I'm not a good flyer :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Steve-O

Great report, Dwight! nice to see a variety of of fish species AND anglers.  Had to look up the file fish myself having never caught or seen one.  Apparently, the Southern commercial fisherman consider them to be the best tasting of all the trigger and file fish family members.