Bronson Trade Reels

Started by Tightlines667, October 20, 2015, 02:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I thought it might he nice to have a thread showcasing the many varieties of Bronson trade reels that exist.

The late Robert Paul Ellis, a long time ORCA member, has contributed greatly to this topic.  The 'ORCA Bronson Reel Photos' page has a great deal of information on this topic.

http://www.bronsonreelphotos.com/index.html

If you have any examples of the many different Bronson trade reels, or any additional information on this topic, please feel free to share.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

I'll start it off with one of the less fancy-schmancy models, a J.C.Higgins model no. 312.3183

The aforementioned site states...

"This model is either from just before the war or after it. Probably the latter. Comes with plain side plates, Lashless-style A-B-L adjustment on the tail plate and white grips. Reel is stamped "J.C. HIGGINS  No.312.3183" on the face plate."

I believe this reel was a Lashless No.1700 trade reel.  It featured an adjustable tailplate bearing whereby the spool tension could be increased for back-'lashless' casting of heavier lures.  It was 'Chromium plated', and had 2 antireverse pawls, and 4 bronze gears (4:1 retrieve, and direct drive levelwind).  You don't want to get your fingers caught in this levelwind!

I found this reel literally in an old barn on an old farm in Linton, North Dakota.  When the farmer was queried about the reel he related that he snagged the reel, and the steel rod it was mounted to, when fishing for Walleye in the Missouri River.  He liked the cute little reel, and has actually been fishing it with the original linen line.  He has caught a number of panfish, catfish, and a few nice Northern on this reel.  When queried further about how the reel worked on bigger fish his answer was simple..."The drag sucks!"

The reel still cranks, freespools, the clicker works (though the button is loose), and the level-wind functions. The drag and spool play adjust are frozen solid and basically nonfunctioning, and there is no antireverse.  Still...not bad for a reel that is nearly 70 years old, and has been laying in mud at the bottom of a river for who knows who long.

Not a particuarily scarce or valuable reel, but still a cool find, and a link to the past.
Hope springs eternal

mo65

Quote from: Tightlines666 on October 20, 2015, 03:05:35 AM
I found this reel literally in an old barn on an old farm in Linton, North Dakota.  When the farmer was queried about the reel he related that he snagged the reel, and the steel rod it was mounted to, when fishing for Walleye in the Missouri River.  

What a coincidence! I snagged my first Higgins too! It hadn't been dunked too long...cleaned up nice...I even fished the thing a few years. :D

I'm not very well versed on my Bronsons, but I was told this Invader 26 is kind of a big deal. I checked it out and they do bring a premium. The 50's styling is what caught my eye.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tightlines667

Cool reel. 

Straight outta the space race/jet era.

The website, or the folks over at ORCA will tell you more
Hope springs eternal