MY PENN INTERNATIONAL TORQUE 300 IS ACTING UP

Started by Dominick, October 22, 2015, 04:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I hadn't used the 300 in about 2 years.  I brought it down to Los Cabos but never got to use it.  While traveling at cruising speed I decided to untwist the line by dragging it behind the boat.  While the line played out I thought too much line was coming off the reel.  I flipped the eccentric into gear and the line continued to come off the reel too quickly.  I then tightened the star to slow it up but there was no drag even though I buttoned down the star.  Just before being spooled I heard the dog slip on the sleeve and make a grinding noise.  Now there I was with a spooled reel held on by the knot and with the star buttoned down the reel would not crank the line back.  It felt like the drag was slipping while I cranked.  The boat slowed some as we came close to the fishing grounds and I was able to crank the line on due to very light drag on the line in the water. Now the question:  I am going to break down the reel.  Given the symptoms I described what should I look for when I take the reel apart?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Dominick on October 22, 2015, 04:48:45 AM
I hadn't used the 300 in about 2 years.  I brought it down to Los Cabos but never got to use it.  While traveling at cruising speed I decided to untwist the line by dragging it behind the boat.  While the line played out I thought too much line was coming off the reel.  I flipped the eccentric into gear and the line continued to come off the reel too quickly.  I then tightened the star to slow it up but there was no drag even though I buttoned down the star.  Just before being spooled I heard the dog slip on the sleeve and make a grinding noise.  Now there I was with a spooled reel held on by the knot and with the star buttoned down the reel would not crank the line back.  It felt like the drag was slipping while I cranked.  The boat slowed some as we came close to the fishing grounds and I was able to crank the line on due to very light drag on the line in the water. Now the question:  I am going to break down the reel.  Given the symptoms I described what should I look for when I take the reel apart?  Dominick

Penn had a recall on the Torque 300 (I sent mine in and they set it straight). I would work with them. Not sure what the issue with the AR was, it was before I got into working on reels more seriously.

If you pm Tony at the Penn Fishing address on Stripers Online he can tell you precisely what the issue was.

In my case, it required a new side plate as they fundamentally changed the design.

El Pescador

I hadn't used the 300 in about 2 years. ....   Given the symptoms I described what should I look for when I take the reel apart?  Dominick

Dominick, given your recent reel adjustment issue on the TANK, DO NOT touch the left side adjustment cap!!!!  For God's Sake!!!   ;D

If you are home this weekend, I'll stop by for a splash of Zin!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on October 22, 2015, 01:03:38 PM
I hadn't used the 300 in about 2 years. ....   Given the symptoms I described what should I look for when I take the reel apart?  Dominick

Dominick, given your recent reel adjustment issue on the TANK, DO NOT touch the left side adjustment cap!!!!  For God's Sake!!!   ;D

If you are home this weekend, I'll stop by for a splash of Zin!

Wayne

Hey Wayne I didn't want to get you in trouble with Sal so I did not tell anyone that you tightened the left side bearing.  So since you brought it up, go get him Sal.  Wayne defiled the tank.  He needs to be disciplined.   :o Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Wayne, stop messing with that bearing ;) ;D...did you ever install that custom handle on your reel or are you still looking at it ::).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

El Pescador

Sal,
you're the last guy I'd want to take on!

But truth be known, I do back off my left side adjustment cap after each trip, reducing the tension on the spring, then adjust it just before I head out on the water.  This technique UNKNOWN to Dominick!

What custom handle you speak of??

I will bringing your (the Penn I bought from you) 114H P60WEX to Cabo in Jan. 2016.  Let's see what I can winch out of the warm Pacific waters!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

I took the 300 apart last night and everything seemed ok inside.  I had to take it apart 3 times as I kept doing something wrong.  I finally figured out I was putting a part in upside down.  There was no way to tell by the schematic which side was up.  Wayne came over today so we decided to give the reel a test.  We got 36lbs. of drag so the reel seems to be working out ok.  I don't know what happened on the boat but the problem seems to have resolved itself.  John thanks for your suggestion to contact pure fishing.  I went to the website but it seems one must join to PM.  I decided to check it out myself.  Dominick