My 113hlw project

Started by Yogi_fish808, October 22, 2015, 06:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigOno

Aloha Yogi!

What you planning on doing with that reel, slide bait for Ulua or put um on da shelf?   

Look reely nice
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 03, 2016, 12:36:19 PM
Nice reel Yogi!
One of the good features on the versa drag system, you could make adjustments  as needed.

Looking at what you have, I would advise you get some new plate. Those would probably be ok, but since new ones are easily obtainable and very reasonable in cost...why not.
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/PENN/Repair%20Bulletins/repairbulletin1.pdf

Thanks for sharing.

Sal

Sal, do the plastic plates age/weaken over time? The ones on now look good but if needed I'd grab a new pair.

She might be pretty, but this reel was only built to be fished. Been sending live bait/slabs of puhi and tohei down...hopefully this season is my turn for an ulua.

Shakas,
Kyle

Alto Mare

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on April 03, 2016, 06:08:36 PM
Sal, do the plastic plates age/weaken over time? The ones on now look good but if needed I'd grab a new pair.
She might be pretty, but this reel was only built to be fished. Been sending live bait/slabs of puhi and tohei down...hopefully this season is my turn for an ulua.
Shakas,
Kyle

Kyle, this wasn't an issue related to age, it was a bad design from the start.
When Penn mentioned  two major problem...I would take that seriously

injection molded plates. This caused two major problems - 1) Screws continually backing off in the bridge, and/or 2) Anti-reverse failures -

I know of some that still fish those and have no issues.
I'm just putting out some information, the rest would be up to you. 

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Yogi_fish808

Whoa! I just looked at the pdf, with this drag kit I'm gonna definitely need to grab the correct plates. I had no clue this was even an issue, if penn brought it up then its not even a question. I definitely don't want to be in the middle of fighting a good fish and have the reel go knuckle buster on me, thanks for looking out Sal! Also, do both sides need to be changed or just the handle side?

Alto Mare

Kyle, personally, I would do both.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on April 03, 2016, 06:08:36 PMBeen sending live bait/slabs of puhi and tohei down...hopefully this season is my turn for an ulua.

Is you are wondering what is puli and other is, they are eels. Puhi is a common term for moray eels although there are many different kinds of puhi eels, it doesn't matter when they all taste great for Uluas (GTs). Tohei is white eel. They are excellent bait and taste yummy too b
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D