Removing years of grease...

Started by Beefer, January 17, 2011, 06:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefer

I know that a sonic cleaner is the best, and I read all the 'how do I clean the old grease' threads, and tried a bunch of the suggestions. They all worked, but I found something that works really well, and was really easy, not toxic, non-flammable, and best of all, cheap! If you do your own auto repair, you probably already have some, or similar. Gojo hand cleaner!

After handling a ratty 114H that was mucked up with nasty, dirty grease the other day, I wanted to clean my hands. Went under the kitchen sink, and was going to use the Goop hand cleaner, but the Gojo was closer, and in no time flat, my hands were clean (as expected). As I was drying my hands off, I said to myself 'Self, this is non-abrasive, non-toxic, and cleans grease and grime off my hands with ease. Why can't I use this on a reel?'. So I tried it on the inside of a side plate with an old toothbrush, and, wow! It was grease free, even in the little corners, in about 15 seconds! I then proceeded to do every greasy part I had, and was amazed how quick it came off.

Anyway, just figured I'd pass this along. There are probably other brands that will do this, just remember to use a non-abrasive, especially on the sideplates.

Bryan Young

Oh yeah, that works.  Should of thought about that one.  I sometimes use Dawn with equally effective results.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Hey Brian: I didn't know Dawn came over to clean parts?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Pescachaser on January 17, 2011, 06:48:37 PM
Hey Brian: I didn't know Dawn came over to clean parts?  Dominick
Harriharhar.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

callelk

This is what I use for my espresso machine and reels and let me tell you, it desolves coffee oils and 50 year old grease like nothing you have ever seen.............. and its safe for kids and pets!!

http://www.joeglo.com/Pages/JoeGlo%20Jar%20page.html

from their page:

"Make an effective, powerful solution using a dillution mixof (1) Tablespoon of JoeGlo per (1) quart of VERY HOT water. Do not soak anything for more than a few minutes. If it doesn't come off in 10 minutes, it's not coming off."  

If you have a coffee pot that has never been cleaned, try this stuff.....its great.  and no, I don't work for them....

wallacewt

gotta get me some,the top baristos are using it.what in the hell is a top baristos.haha.

Beefer

Quote from: wallacewt on January 18, 2011, 01:47:28 AM
gotta get me some,the top baristos are using it.what in the hell is a top baristos.haha.

That's a glorified name for "coffee pourer"  ::)

wallacewt

for a moment he was a greek god father ;D