114H clicker issue

Started by Beefer, January 17, 2011, 06:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefer

I just completed a rebuild on a 114H, and everything is great except for the clicker. When the clicker is engaged, I can crank the handle, but it feels like it's binding, and the spool won't spin. If I manually spin the spool, the clicker disengages. Also, when I feed line out (like a fish is pulling) with the drag backed off, the clicker makes one click, then disengages.

I've taken it apart, checked the clicker, and re-assembled about 6 times. Everything looks correct; click spring isn't bent, appears to be seated correctly, and click tongue appears to be setting correctly. Any ideas on the problem, or how to correct this?

alantani

the click button could be worn or the spool could be spaced over to the right too far.  also, is the click spring screwed down tightly enough?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

erikpowell

Bula! Yeah, I'm having the same issue on a 309 & a 268 Long Beach....  no sign of wear, everything is sweet is far as i can tell, they worked perfectly till i jumped in. the 309 is like new and I just replaced the clicker pawl on the 268 because it was rusted off...
same here ... back & forth like 6 times and the clickers will engage for a sec then let go...hmmmmm . any other ideas gang?
Vinaka-

alantani

watch the click button and see if it jumps back after the first click.

erikpowell

man you're fast!
hmmm. yep, not everytime but if i tilt the reel handle side down and take a turn or two, the button will jump up a bit and partially disengage the clicker. a slight nudge of the spool to the left will pop it back

erikpowell

correction.. i can only nudge the spool back to the left AFTER i disengage the clicker. if not, feels like the click gear is jammed against the outside face of the clicker

Alto Mare

If you have side play with the spool, try tightening the left side bearing/bushing, see if that helps.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

erikpowell

yeah, negative, tried that but doesn't help... its almost like it needs to be tightened/pushed from the other side instead.. i have no idea where all that play came from! on the 268 Long Beach that play is over 1/8"... any more ideas? this is mind bending ???

Alto Mare

Over 1/8 of an inch is more than usual, you probably have the wrong spool on that reel. Where did you get the reels from?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: erikpowell on July 14, 2011, 02:52:49 AM
yeah, negative, tried that but doesn't help... its almost like it needs to be tightened/pushed from the other side instead.. i have no idea where all that play came from! on the 268 Long Beach that play is over 1/8"... any more ideas? this is mind bending ???
That seems odd.  Does the reel have the right side bearing (it's actually a bushing but Penn cals it a bearing) or is that loose as well?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

either that or the hardened stainless steel spool shaft has cut into the soft brass end cap bushings. 

erikpowell

Quote from: alantani on July 14, 2011, 05:28:59 AM
either that or the hardened stainless steel spool shaft has cut into the soft brass end cap bushings. 
hmm, that may be likely as I had to loosen the left tension knob with pliers.. it was TIGHT when it came to me.
and for BY, the Bushing cap on the rt side is like a 3/8" tube that accepts the spool shaft, and its tight, seems i would want to add a shim/spacer/etc to the inside of that bush to push the spool to the left some more. most of the play is to the right.
... I thought I had it licked when I pulled the click tongue & flipped it over thinking it may have been worn but alas...NOT.
The thing is...I'm 90% sure the clicker worked sweet before, I always check functions before i strip a reel & that was not on my trouble list. it seemed to work fine, it just came to me for a service thats it...
....i'm gonna go work on a shimano for awhile & sleep on it, see if the a.m. brings any revelations...Vinaka!

redsetta

Might be worth shimming the back of the left-side bush, just to see if it helps.
It sounds a bit like my 113H - the left-side bearer was wound fully down and still had significant play.
I shimmed both sides and now it's spot on...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

erikpowell

what'd you use for shims? they'd need to be tiny little buggers

redsetta

Yeah, tiny. I tried teflon and copper, but settled on a red, fibrous material and was easily shaped with a file, would be unaffected by corrosion and was the right thickness for the task.
I'll take some photos and post 'em later this evening.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer