Pro Gear 545 New to Me

Started by SoulTips, October 26, 2015, 07:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoulTips

Ha guys,

I've red a lot of great things from you guys about Pro Gear reels, so I said what the hell and grabbed a 545 off eBay. I've been poking around the different sites looking at upgrades for this reel, but I'm not sure where I should start. I'm thinking the handle and a new drag kit, but what about the inside, stainless gear sleeve, dog, stainless gear, pinion, new bearings. Are there any pit falls with these reel other than the corrosion problems I've red about. Love some feed back.

Bryan Young

Quote from: SoulTips on October 26, 2015, 07:46:40 PM
Ha guys,

I've red a lot of great things from you guys about Pro Gear reels, so I said what the hell and grabbed a 545 off eBay. I've been poking around the different sites looking at upgrades for this reel, but I'm not sure where I should start. I'm thinking the handle and a new drag kit, but what about the inside, stainless gear sleeve, dog, stainless gear, pinion, new bearings. Are there any pit falls with these reel other than the corrosion problems I've red about. Love some feed back.
What are you fishing for with this reel?  without any upgrades, I would do the normal maintenance and replace as you go along.

For corrosion, I would check the area of the eccentric spring.  That usually will be the first place of corrosion and should be cleaned and well greased.  Second place for corrosion is the yoke spring slots.  Other than that, not much more. 

If you handle is wobbly, I would consider replacing the gear sleeve with stainless steel and a stainless steel dog.  You will need to shave down the securement pin because the hole and slot from a penn to a progear are different.  You could also just replace the bridge with a Penn from a 113H and the SS gear sleeve would fit perfectly.

If you gears are good, I wouldn't replace them.  If not, then I would consider Pro Challenger's 4:1 Stainless Steel gears unless you can find a NOS Newell gear set.

Bearings, I would stick with stainless steel ABEC 5s.  You don't need anything more.

As for the drag kit, if you need a solid 18#, I would stick with the 113HSP drag kit from Penn parts.  It will be a 5 stack if your reel doesn't already have it.  If you want more drag pressure, then I would recommend my 7+1 drag kit, but it's really not necessary for this reel.

I hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

Does it have a counterbalanced handle or the power handle?  The power handle is good to go. 
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoulTips

Guys,

Thanks for the response. I plan on fishing this reel for the norm-model long range stuff, YT, YFT, dodo's, albie's "if they ever show up again" and anything else that wants to bite 30/40lb. The handle is the counter balance type, I've already ordered a new drag star and handle arm from Adam at Motive Fab. Bryan thanks for the great recommendations, I'm pretty sure I'd like to put your 7+1 drag kit in this reel along with a few other goodies! New Penn 113h bridge, stainless sleeve, 4:1 gear set and new bearings, really pimp this thing out. I'll post a few pic's when I get this reel put together. Wish me luck!!! LOL

MarkT

Doesn't it have 4:1 gears already?

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on October 28, 2015, 12:58:12 AM
Doesn't it have 4:1 gears already?

They are 4:1 and there should be no need to change them out for the lb test he is looking to fish like Bryan said. Maybe add a stainless shaft but that really is not needed either. I did add one to my YTS to fish 50 lb on, for just in case I really need to button down the drags on bigger fish even though a brass sleeve should of been fine for most applications.

I almost pulled the trigger on Bryan's 7 stack drags but I get 22 lbs on the 5+1 that the reel came with. I'm not sure the 545 has the same size gear as the 454 and the YTS though.

Bryan Young

Quote from: SoCalAngler on October 28, 2015, 02:06:59 AMI'm not sure the 545 has the same size gear as the 454 and the YTS though.

From what I have seen, it's the same gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

The 545, 541, 454 (YTS) and 440 all use the same gears.  The 3000/3500 probably used them too.  It's been a long time since I had a 3500 and I don't remember.