Pflueger Oceanic 500yd with Williams Drag... a look inside

Started by Tightlines667, October 27, 2015, 04:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I aquired a Pflueger Oceanic with Williams Drag reel at the most recent ORCA benefit auction. It is a 500 yard model and measures 4-1/4" in. in diameter and 3-1/4"yd in. spool width.  This reel was donated by longtime member, Mr. John Elder.  It functions as advertised, but was a little 'stiff', and there was some light corrosion present on the exterior.  I decided to take her apart to have a look inside, and clean the reel up a bit.  

Here's what I found...

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

All cleaned up....

I decided to clean this one up since it already had signs of having been cleaned (some plating loss, worn stamping, light scratchimg on headplate, etc).  These reel's were obviously made of high quality parts and it cleaned up nicely.  I may have increased just a small amount of plating loss, but there is no longer any corrosion, and it functions much more smoothly overall.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

1) Great find and even better on the clean! That reel has to be what, 60-70 years old?
2) Just started using Back to Black on plates, I like it.
3) I REALLY have to clean up my workbench.

Penn Chronology

Great reel from the 1920's.

John,

Your Pflueger has been tanked with a aftermarket external anti-reverse and a Williams drag. Here is the way the Oceanic came out of the factory:

Penn Chronology

BTW, John:

The clutch on the Oceanic is a John Kopf design, pivoting bridge. The original patent on that bridge goes back to the 1880's.  http://kopfreels.weebly.com/index.html