Identifying Rod

Started by sharkman, October 27, 2015, 02:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I trying to identify old rod recently purchased. I have done multiple search for rods trying to match eyes, wrapping, handle. The closest match is a Harrington. Is there any way to make sure, since the sticker are no longer readable.

sharkman

If it helps the rod is heavy compared to todays rods and is in the 6 foot range.

thorhammer

possily Harnell, ive seen that scheme on them.

sharkman

Do you know if there is any way to verify

foakes

Thread color and pattern is exactly like Harnell.

John Harrington made rods from Harnell blanks in the very early 60's & late 50's.

Harnell was out of Venice, California -- and produced both completed rods and sold blanks.

They were of high quality -- and are still valuable today as solid fishing sticks.

Harnell produced everything from Fly Rods to HD Salt rods in nearly every popular specification.

The one thing that was constant was the distinctive red and yellow -- or red and white thread pattern -- on mostly black blanks.

With that thread pattern -- it is likely a factory made rod -- as opposed to an independent maker using Harnell blanks.

This is only a guess -- so you should do a little more research -- but I believe it very likely to be the ID.

I think Randy at Vintage Offshore -- on our site -- would be a resource for ID -- few folks know that he is close to an expert on these old salt rods from quality makers.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.