Spinfisher V Problem

Started by Black Lab, November 01, 2015, 05:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Lab

This is something I have come across 3 times. This last one was the most troublesome. The gold bearing retainer on each side of the SSV 5500/6500 has three tiny screws to hold it on. Each one that came to me was stripped, an the retainer holes were not stretched or widened visably by the screws an came right through.

If it happens once, I just note it, but three times tells me there is a problem. I purchased new screws an they pass right through the retainer. They screw in properly. It's just the retainer you cannot see the widening of the hole. On one the owner did not care how to fix it, so I used JB Kiwk Weld an filled the holes set the screws, held it together for five minutes, all done. The second wanted new parts an that worked fine. This third time I am sure they will want new parts, but I can't believe that tiny screw is forcing itself from the retainer. I inspected the retainer an the gold color is still there an no sign of it was bored out, over tightened, galled or damage. Could it be the screws are just to small for the job to be done. This reel was lost for a week or so an had to be completely taken apart. It also took me some time to get two of the screws out. The heads are #00 Phillips. I finally cut the top with a Dremel an all was well.

There must be an easy answer. I just don't think it is from abuse. Also the screws that hold the pinion bearing retainer are to soft. Must be soft steel. Everyone I've looked at has stripped at least one screw.

Does anyone know of an easy fix, maybe someone else has had this problem.

Black Lab

I got more intrigued by what happened to the bearing retainer. Under a microscope you can see the bearing retainer holes just opened up. The holes in the retainer were to large to begin with. The screw heads can go down flat Against the body, the edge of the retainer is to thin to hold on.

I wonder if a thin washer on top would help? I would not make the holes larger, but I don't know who makes a screw with a head large enough to fill the hole. I did use JB Kiwk Weld once an it has held, but to me that is not the proper way to do this. Hope someone has figured this out before.

mizmo67

We haven't had many of these through for service here yet, so wasn't away of this problem

I was just discussing this with a customer yesterday when he was ordering, was that you?
I've only had 3 customers order any of the screws since Jan 2015 here at the shop.

I don't like these tiny 51A-SSV5500 screws, they just seem to delicate for what they are used for and from what you are describing, they are getting stripped out on the assembly line, which isn't good.

NOTES: The 232-SSV5500 for example. The hole is two staged. There is a little lip in there that the head of the 51A-SSV5500 sits on, so that the screw head is flush with the surface of the ring. Maybe that thin lip is too thin?

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com