Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Swami805

Very nice reels Bill. Fond a good home too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Thank you guys......what a wealth of knowledge just shared here.....Mike, Randy and Ted you guys never cease to amaze me....Now what is ironic is I have never been a big fan of the JigMaster (Yes I know, sacrilege  :o) I am more drawn to the Senators and Mariners, however in spite of my tastes, the JigMaster collection is expanding like a herd of rabbits and they are starting to grow on me  :D

Quote from: oc1 on December 25, 2017, 05:36:01 AM
Really nice Penns Bill, but that Rolls is something special.  I read the stuff at ORCA but did you ever find out anything about it?  It seems weird that a reel maker in Los Angeles could disappear without a trace.
-steve

Yes Steve, the Rolls is still a mystery, besides the information supplied by ORCA, nothing else has surfaced.  Tried searching old Los Angeles directories and patent searches, but no luck.  It would be amazing if someone came forward with a complete history of the Rolls AND the Nep-Tuna because he worked for both companies......Tight Lines and Cool Beans my brothers.......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on December 24, 2017, 11:43:53 PM
Santa came early today  ;D   My 80 year old dad sent me three of his reels, that HE bought brand new....A JM 500L from the 60's (based on the Postal Code on the box) another 500L from the 70's in the tan box and a LB 65 from 70's also (according to his recollection) .....he said the 60's JM and the LB were fished about three times and shelved and the other JM never used  :o......All are in like new condition and will be getting Center Stage in the cabinet.  Dad wasn't much of a conventional guy, but said the could cast the JM 40 yards further than he could with a Mitchell 302 ....Hmmmm and he wasn't a conventional type of guy  ::)....hence the homemade thumb break......Thanks Dad  ;)  I'm hoping Santa is going to be nice to the AT Ohana this year......Bill 

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 25, 2017, 01:31:40 AM
nice collection bill! Looks like you have a couple of silver spools for that Jigmaster, if you need to have a red spool maybe we could switch.

Best,

Sal

Hello Bill, sorry for asking about the silver spool. I thought the pic above was one and that there were two reels with the silver spool.
Had I known it was only one, I would have never asked. Funny part, I wasn't even looking for one, I thought it would have been nice if you had one of each.
Merry Christmas!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Sweet grouping. 

Looks like you should try to find a complete first year Jigmaster reel/box/spool in order to complete the group.  Well, you could look for the red-spool anniversary reel to  ad to the group as well.  That is a great start though.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill B

No worries Sal.....If I had two of them one would be headed your way.....

John I think you are right on completing the set.....Looks like I'm getting JigMaster fever now  :P

Now to find the 12 Step process for Reel Addiction..... :D

Merry Christmas to all....Bill

54bullseye

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on December 25, 2017, 04:36:25 PM
Thank you guys......what a wealth of knowledge just shared here.....Mike, Randy and Ted you guys never cease to amaze me....Now what is ironic is I have never been a big fan of the JigMaster (Yes I know, sacrilege  :o) I am more drawn to the Senators and Mariners, however in spite of my tastes, the JigMaster collection is expanding like a herd of rabbits and they are starting to grow on me  :D

Quote from: oc1 on December 25, 2017, 05:36:01 AM
Really nice Penns Bill, but that Rolls is something special.  I read the stuff at ORCA but did you ever find out anything about it?  It seems weird that a reel maker in Los Angeles could disappear without a trace.
-steve

Yes Steve, the Rolls is still a mystery, besides the information supplied by ORCA, nothing else has surfaced.  Tried searching old Los Angeles directories and patent searches, but no luck.  It would be amazing if someone came forward with a complete history of the Rolls AND the Nep-Tuna because he worked for both companies......Tight Lines and Cool Beans my brothers.......Bill
You know someone who worked at Nep-Tuna in Los Angles ?  Do you know anything about his employment history at all ?  Dates ?   John Taylor

Bill B

Sorry John. just wishing out loud about how great it would be if we did find someone......Bill

thorhammer

Bill your handle is in enroute ups is behind so I think it could be Monday.

Bill B

WooooHoooo!!!!!  Christmas continues ;D ;D ;D   Much thanks brother John......Bill

54bullseye

Quote from: Oceanreels on December 14, 2017, 04:02:01 PM
Here is a early second generation 14/0 I got a little while ago. This version of the 14/0 & 16/0 are often over looked. We know that by March of 1942 the 14/0 and 16/0 were second generation with the new large drags because of adds that show this.  I feel that the early second generation of these reels ( ones that still used the 12/0 drags ) were made for a year or less. Anyone have any information they can add about these early second generation reels?

Here is another early second generation Senator this one a 16/0 that I got a week ago and just finished cleaning it up a bit and re lubing. This one has the smaller 12/0 sized drags like Brian's. It cleaned up pretty good but it did have a little blue/green corrosion here and there. The drags, washers and cup were all pretty good also as some times they really get corroded bad ! I have one original rod brace and the turnbuckles and also original rod clamp with bolts and nuts. This one has the lighter duty stand also. When cleaning I noticed a brass screw that had been filed off a bit next to dog and showed it to Brian. He said it was a repair for broken spring post !! Guess I should have figured that out &*^%$%^. This one has the drilled spool also.     Thanks for looking !

John Taylor

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

54bullseye

Brian :  Cross bars or posts are kind of rough but not to bad. Now I want the first generation 16/0 !!! From what I see a TUFF FIND !!!  But they have to be out there somewhere !!  Would you or any one else know where I could find a no part number rod brace ?     John Taylor

Benni3

Very nice 16/0 and you did a good job cleaning it up looks new  ;D

Tightlines667

Nice reel there!  That makes a great one to ad to the set of first gen Seanators since it is ran early Reel, and the first gen 16/0s seem to be as rare as hen's teeth.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.