Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Agree. I have a buddy that restores slot machines. I thought about doing reel parts, and he said exactly that: you will have shiny chrome highlighting any scratches (same with re-anodizing). Better off picking up some used bits in better shape....I expect they will be available when Tom's plates come out :)

Penn Chronology

The reel is probably German Silver. If you want pretty, remove whatever chrome is on there and polish the parts. They will look better than chrome when you are done.

This was a mess of chrome loss and corrosion. Of course it does not approach a Ted reel but the improvement was a big step up.

oc1

If you are not going to fish with a reel I think you should keep it all original (including the drag washers) as much a possible.  It will help protect your investment.  A few decades from now the carbontex and new parts will have decreased it's value.  By that time, people may have resources that make them better able to evaluate how original the reel is and when/if it was tampered with.

I have never disagreed with Mike about anything, but wonder if removing the finish isn't also detrimental to the value over the long run.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and, to me, having honest wear and character is a beautiful thing.  Dust it off, stabilize any corrosion and oil it.
-steve

bhale1

Chris,
Nothing wrong with that reel...just. Clean it up best you can and enjoy....have to agree that a chrome shop can't really make it look new...scrub and polish the best you and fish it...will last forever!!
Brett

Penn Chronology

When it comes to collectibles, judgments are made all the time. If a reel is broken, corroded and has a massive finish loss, then it has nowhere to go but up. Especially if we are talking about a production reel. When a reel is turned into jewelry, it attracts people. When a reel is a mess, it needs a history lesson and a very good reason to leave it that way.

I have seen collectors take a 12/0 vom Hofe basket case with original chrome over German Silver and pay a grand for it. Then take the reel and restore it with extreme care. When they were done, the reel tripled in value; but, was not as it was when it was built. I always feel that originally it the bottom line. A NOS item is always the most desirable; but, fishing reels were built to fish with. That means exposure to sun, salt and years of extreme use, to bring one back is a big part of the hobby.

Some collectors do nothing to their tackle. They are simply custodians of it until they decide to sell it. Myself, I like to clean and make it function as it should. I am not into shinny; but, I appreciate it and know that there is value to that. I have seen many collectors make their pieces better than the original maker made them.

I guess what I am trying to say is there is an #### for every Seat. When you see something that makes you feel you have to have it, then it is right for you, whether it is mint or looks like it was dredged up from the Sewage Treatment Plant outlet.

Maxed Out

I highly doubt that a Penn reel could be shined beyond the day it left the factory.

If you read any Penn catalog, you'll read about how their reels are "highly polished" at the factory.

Besides that there are some parts that are nearly impossible to polish after factory assembly, like the click button, the handle blade, the gear sleeve transit, and a few others. You cannot make tenderloin out of ground round especially if it's thin nickle plating, because you'll blast right thru to the brass.

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Decker

That's a great pic, Tony.  Is it yours?

I'm one who prefers to see an old artifact in the condition it would have been used.  To me, that brings more of an understanding of the historical time period. 

Sometimes historical novels give a better lesson than history books (sometimes).

Imagine if the Sistine Chapel had never been restored.

broadway

With all due respect, if I take a NOS vintage Penn reel that came from the factory and dust it off with a microfiber to remove fingerprints and smudges and another reel that I shined up as best as I could (that wasn't mint already) I don't believe it would be "better" than the factory finish.  If I get a set of rims chromed on my car they will never be shinier as when they left the plater no matter how much polish and time I put into them.  Penn was proud of the products they churned out, so it would surprise me to find out they didn't polish their parts before sending them out into the world.  Now, in regards to the German Silver, it can be shined up a bit more with some elbow grease, but chrome will not look better than it did when it was done at the factory.  In fact, I'm not sure if the German Silver reels didn't come from the factory shinier than we see them.  German Silver gets a patina and dulls a bit with age.  I wasn't around in 1932-1975 so I couldn't tell you for sure.  As for the side plates, They will never have the perfect/shiny sheen than they came out of the mold with no matter what you do.  Just like an ice skating rink, when you scratch the ice it becomes dull... thank goodness for the zamboni.  We have a lot of creative people on here, let's make a side plate zamboni, a light torch that runs above the plate to cure the imperfections would be a good start. ;)
I do agree that original is the only way to go, as I would prefer to have an old all original, crusty reel than one that has been re-chromed or has non-original parts on it. It is a subjective topic to say the least.
Of course, this is just my opinion,
Dom

Maxed Out

Here is a 1941 12/0 that was owned and fished by a decorated WWII hero. He fished it prior to the war and after the war and up into the 1980's. Obviously used, but also was kept serviced. The harness adjusters turn very easy, as do the clamp nuts. Freespool is amazing. I love this reel just how it is and wouldn't change a thing.

Tightlines667

That's got some character!

My early 2nd gen 10/0 was fished by a wooden charter boat out of Pearl Harbor catering to enlisted solders throughout WWII and after the war.  It too has character, and will remain in 'as found condition, with the rod it came with (a calcutta bamboo wrapped by a locally famous rod wrapping family living at the leper colony).

On the other end, your restoration of my first gen. 12/0, and prewar 1/0 with period correct parts we're well worth refurbishing.  I think the owner needs to decide with each individual piece.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

Wood knob, honest wear, well maintained, provenance.  You can't ask for more than that Ted.

A rod made on Kalaupapa is one heck of a provenance story John.  By the way, there has been a Florida boat/tarpon rod built on a Calcutta cane for sale at the auction lately.

-steve

Tightlines667

How about a non-numbered early second gen. 4/0?  
I picked this one up after digging through 4 crates of reels, at the local pawn shop for $20.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

It should fit right in with the other prewar Senators.  

I was (and still am) hoping to find a first year 4/0, but for the price, this one will work just fine for now.  

Not quite as pretty as Ted's non-numbered 4/0 though.. actually not even in the same class :)

John
Hope springs eternal

Maxed Out

Nice score for $20 John, and if you didn't rescue it, there's a good chance it would've not been discovered for what it is. The early 4/0 picture plate is one of my favorites.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"