Drag Grease

Started by Sandbar33, January 18, 2011, 01:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandbar33

I know about Cals adn Shimano but are there any other options that anybody has tried and had success with? I am already using SuperLube to grease gears and whatnot.....has anybody used it for drag washers?

kamuwela

you need to check what is  the melting point and compare. i use marine lube corrosion x and cals, i wouldnt put any grease other then drag grease . i wouldnt take a chance with regular grease, cals is silicone based. its cheaper to use cals or shimano, then replacing drag washers. if the grease you use doesnt work or damages the washer then it would have been cheaper to use cal's.

Steve-O

I'm using Finish Line teflon grease. It's a local purchase for me from a bike shop and costs less than others. Somewhere around 8 bucks for 3.5 oz.  Performance wise ... seems good to me. It's Teflon Grease with the right properties and heat resistance. YMMV. I also use Sta-Lube blue marine grease instead of Yamaha. Again a personal preference. It's USA made by CRC and 2 bucks a 3 oz cartridge. From China-Freight =Harbor Freight ;D

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/fortified-grease.htm

Steve-O

Bryan Young

I have that stuff in my garage.  I'm gonna check it out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i would love to get the raw data from cal sheets when he did his orginal research on drag grease.  that would answer all of our questions. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Viennacop

I am new on the forum, but I read a ton of posts during the last weeks. I live in Austria and I started to maintenance my Avets and Stellas after my last trip to norway. Because of the very good posts here I use CorrosionX, ReelX and Cal´s but it was simply impossible for me to get some Yamaha Marine Grease. The last shop I found replied that shippin to Europe would be more than 60 bucks, and that´s in my opinion a lot of money. All in all - 1 tube of marine grease, shipping, toll and VAT would be $ 100,- or even more ......

Working with CorrosionX, my dealer sent some samples of CorrosionX HD (heavy duty) and CorrosionX Grease. Does anybody have any experience in using this stuff?

Would be nice to get some answers from you guys

best regards from Austria,
Willi

codhead

Quote from: Viennacop on February 02, 2011, 09:52:05 AM
I am new on the forum, but I read a ton of posts during the last weeks. I live in Austria and I started to maintenance my Avets and Stellas after my last trip to norway. Because of the very good posts here I use CorrosionX, ReelX and Cal´s but it was simply impossible for me to get some Yamaha Marine Grease. The last shop I found replied that shippin to Europe would be more than 60 bucks, and that´s in my opinion a lot of money. All in all - 1 tube of marine grease, shipping, toll and VAT would be $ 100,- or even more ......

Working with CorrosionX, my dealer sent some samples of CorrosionX HD (heavy duty) and CorrosionX Grease. Does anybody have any experience in using this stuff?

Willi

Hi Willi

Try THESE PEOPLE

£9.89 + delivery + VAT (20% UK), I would think they'll ship to Austria, shipping should cost no more than £7.50 GBP
The older I get, the better I was

Viennacop

Hi codhead, thanks for the link!

I had a long conversation with a guy from Yamaha Europe about the Yamalube Grease and it is confirmed that it´s not the same as the blue marine grease Alan uses. This Marine Grease is just made for the US market not for Europe and that´s why it´s not available at all. And I don´t think the Yamalube Grease is marine grade. The greases are both more or less the same, except that the marine grease has an additive that makes it salt water resistant.

The Yamaha Yamalube Water Resistant Grease does not say anything about saltwater resistance. I hope I got this right.

Best regards,
Willi

alantani

supposedly a marine grade grease will resist salt AND water instead of just water.  try to find something, anything, that is "marine" grade.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Viennacop on February 02, 2011, 09:52:05 AMWorking with CorrosionX, my dealer sent some samples of CorrosionX HD (heavy duty) and CorrosionX Grease. Does anybody have any experience in using this stuff?

Willi
I have used CorrosionX HD and like it.  Just received a sample of CorrosionX Grease, that is only available in the EU at the moment, and am planning to try it out on some reels, but just haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Viennacop

Hello folks!

Here is what I found in the web about the CorrosionX Grease:

http://www.landrovertuning.com.au/shop/new-products/corrosion-x-grease-cartridge-400-g.html

"Corrosion X Grease; !!! +2000h Salt Spray Test !!!

CorrosionX is known as Best Available Technology (B.A.T.) on the world market, thanks to its Polar Bonding Technology. It is friendly to the environment, the human and the machine. It does not contain silicon and hardly any solvent.

CorrosionX Grease is an ultra-high performance grease, NLGI classification II.

Perfect in corrosive environments.
Typical applications are wind power plants, oil platforms, maritime application."

Should be excellent stuff for our expensive reels.
So Bryan Young please let us know your experience in the future.

Ich will use it for me reels for sure, but as you probably know - Austria is not even close to the sea. My reels have to stand a trip abroad for a week or two every year and thats what they do in regular cases.

best regards,
Willi

ossipeter

Hallo Willi,
probier es hier. http://www.ask-shop.de/ Habe da alles bekommen von Corrosion X, Heavy-Duty, Grease

Thigt lines
Peter

Bryan Young

Willi,

All of my reels have been serviced in the past 3 months or so, so I haven't had a need as of yet...except my spinner, which I am planning to try this grease on.  Unless the person is a willing party, I don't want to try it out on their reels unless they give me permission.  At the moment, they all prefer marine grease even though they trust ReelX, CorrosionX and CorrosionX HD.

Bryan

Viennacop

Quote from: BryanYoung on February 03, 2011, 02:17:55 PM
Willi,

All of my reels have been serviced in the past 3 months or so, so I haven't had a need as of yet...except my spinner, which I am planning to try this grease on.  Unless the person is a willing party, I don't want to try it out on their reels unless they give me permission.  At the moment, they all prefer marine grease even though they trust ReelX, CorrosionX and CorrosionX HD.

Bryan

Hi Bryan!

I am really interested in the outcome of your spinner service. Especially because most of my saltwater reels are spinners (Shimano Stella FA).
It is understandable for me that your guys trust in marine grease because it´s well known for its good performance in saltwater. However I will wait for your report.

@ ossipeter:
Danke für den Tipp, ich habe mir die Sachen mittlerweile über einen Vertragshändler von Scandex in Wien besorgt!

best regards,
Willi

billystrikero

Hello Alan. Have you looked at AMSOIL marine grease?  Not tacky and creamy smooth.  Decide a side by side comparison - may exceed Yamaha in some respect.