Alternative to wind-on leader

Started by knife, November 01, 2015, 12:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1010

knife

Thanks to everybody.
Hello Dominick, is a pleasure to hear you!
Your lure is always in my fishing bag but this year I did not make offshore trips to swordfish and for large tuna works only the drifting....

Keta

Most knots in heavy line are bulky and need large guides to pass through.  Have you considered using 5' topshots so the knot never enters the guides?

I'm still a loop to loop  fan, low profile and easy to change out a topshot.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

knife

Sorry Keta,
"topshot" is a new term for me, I have no idea how it's done.....
Can you help me?

Keta

Topshot is just a leader on top of the braid, a wind on is usually a long topshot.  Most of my reels have super short topshots, 5-20 feet (2-6 meters).  For trolling I use 100' (32 meters) though.

If you keep your topshot/leader shorter than your rod or long enough it seldom comes off your reel any good connection knot will work, I usually use a uni to uni for 50# and under if having to use a knot.  Over 50# and most knots start to get large.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

I'm assuming you have braid (spectra is one)  on your reels.

Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Of all the braid to mono knots I've tried the strength & ease of tying this one along with its ability to pass through
the guides is unsurpassed. Times I have tested it I've found it breaks at a point higher than the line rating when wet.

The pic is 80 lb. Toro Tamer, hollow braid tied to 60 lb.
Big Game. Tied properly I have been able to cast this with knot passing through guides well over 25 times with out any worries. Need to leave a bit of the braid tag end sticking when you cut it.