Alternative to wind-on leader

Started by knife, November 01, 2015, 12:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knife

Greetings to all from Rome.
I need your opinion to find a knot to join the reel nylon to fluorocarbon leader with the same diameter (90/100 pound - 0.80 / 0.90 mm) to be used in tuna drifting.
In a few words I want to find an alternative to using the "wind-on".
Someone told me about the Albright or Albright reverse but it seems that this knot is mainly used to join different diameters only. ???
As for the windon I would put a swivel on the hook tied to the fluorocarbon with a nail knot.
Thanks in advance for the support.
knife

Dominick

Knife it is good to have you back.  I have had success with a Bimini Knot in the nylon and an Albright to attach the leader to the Bimini.  Tuna fishing was slow down in Baja this year.  Have you had any success with the lure I made for you? Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Hamachi

Uni to uni is THE best knot when similar diameter lines are to be joined, period.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

FatTuna

Personally, I wouldn't use a knot for line that heavy. I use crimps, it's fast, easy, and stronger. You need to use a paint pen to color in the crimps. To join the leader to mono use a swivel. To protect the crimps, use chafe tube.

What size tuna are you targeting?

SoCalAngler

Quote from: fatstriper on November 02, 2015, 03:21:07 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use a knot for line that heavy. I use crimps, it's fast, easy, and stronger. You need to use a paint pen to color in the crimps. To join the leader to mono use a swivel. To protect the crimps, use chafe tube.

What size tuna are you targeting?

X2

For me when I hit 100 lb test, well 80 for that matter, it usually is for bigger fish so not a big fan for knots in this lb test range. You could use the Seaguar knot for shorter topshots/leaders say around 6-8 feet of fluoro on top of the mono where the knot will not go through the rods guides but I feel crimping is a much better solution. 

CapeFish

Quote from: Hamachi on November 02, 2015, 02:19:57 AM
Uni to uni is THE best knot when similar diameter lines are to be joined, period.

I agree it's the best, I use it for all leaders even tying 1.5mm to 1mm steel cable. No need for crimps

FatTuna

A uni to uni with 100lb line.... A uni to uni is fine for lighter lines but will not cinch down well with heavy or stiff line. I have some Andre backcountry 40lb that has trouble with a uni knot.

Hamachi

Don't be afraid to tie a knot in larger diameter lines,guys, this is what he asked, he didn't ask about crimps. Old school.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Tiddlerbasher

What about splicing - mainline - hollow core braid - top shot. Served or nail knotted both ends of the hollow. Much stronger than any knot or crimp and no bulk to 'clatter' through the rod rings.

CapeFish

Quote from: fatstriper on November 02, 2015, 07:37:09 AM
A uni to uni with 100lb line.... A uni to uni is fine for lighter lines but will not cinch down well with heavy or stiff line. I have some Andre backcountry 40lb that has trouble with a uni knot.

it works fine in very thick line, makes a very neat and strong knot, Pity I don't have an example here at the office to post! We use an adaptation of the uni-knot called a figure - 8 knot. You only need 3 wraps in very thick line, but 4 or so for thinner diameter. Steel only needs 2 wraps, one over the other. I have stopped experimenting with mono and steel knots, no point, this knot is simple, small and strong. I can cast a 1.2mm leader tied to 0.6mm mono  mainline, no problem. I use it for all mono and steel tying. Connecting thin and thick mono, you simply double the thin mono with a bimini or spider hitch and make a uni in the double line. I don't use these knots in braid though. I splice loops in braid or splice 2 braids together or use FG knot to join it to mono

CapeFish

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 02, 2015, 10:08:15 AM
What about splicing - mainline - hollow core braid - top shot. Served or nail knotted both ends of the hollow. Much stronger than any knot or crimp and no bulk to 'clatter' through the rod rings.

It will work but you will only get a few % points gain in breaking strain if any. With the double line knot I use you get very close to 100% breaking strain of your mainline if you are using much thinner mainline. It's a rather complicated tying method to use hollow core and nail knots when you have to do it while out fishing?

Tiddlerbasher

This man has done a lot of professional testing on lines and knots - it's worth checking his site for info:

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4knotstested.htm

thorhammer

I use Uni for everything.That's why it's the uni. My trolling rigs go 50 and 80 mono to 80 and 100 fluoro, no issues. You just need to be careful thet wraps (you can go 4 or 5 on the 80) stay trued up as you snug down. because lines that heavy are springy, as noted above. I snug the knot on the line pretty well before I pull the lines together so everything stays intact. Moisten with saliva to preven burn as you pull tight. Done. I've pulled sharks to 8' up out off the bottom as hard as I could pull with this knot. JMO.

fishhead69

I use the Bristol knot or "No Name" knot as Mark Sosin calls it. It is very low profile, fast and easy to tie and I have never had one break catching many Tuna over 150 pounds with it.

handi2

Bimini in the main line and Bristol knot to the Bimini.

It doesn't have to a long Bimini. 8' will be fine and will give you more stretch and double the breaking strength of the main line.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL