Boca Bearings VS Mike's Reel Repair Bearings

Started by Ruedassamba, November 02, 2015, 02:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruedassamba

Does anyone have any insight on ABEC 7 ceramics offered by Boca Bearings VS the ABEC 7 ceramics offered by Mike's Reel Repair? The price difference is significant - $30 for 2 (Boca) compared to $50 for 10 (MRR). Any info would be appreciated.

SoCalAngler

I can't tell you the difference between the two but what I can tell you is Boca and Mike's don't make bearings. Most bearings come from a manufacture that specializes in making bearings and are sold through different channels out to the public. Some buyers purchase many bearings at one time and others buy less. The more you buy the less the cost for the most part as a distributor/re-seller.

IMO ceramic are fine if you don't want to lube them or fish them in saltwater. Most ceramic bearings still have a steel/stainless steel race and in the salt should be lubed.

You could pay more for ABEC 7 bearings but I have found ABEC 5's are plenty fast for most reels.

Edit: The cost can also be due to where the bearings are manufactured at such as Japan, Germany, China and other places but ABEC 7 should be a ABEC 7 no matter who makes it coming from the Annular Bearing Engineering Committee, ABCE.

Some bearings claim ABEC rating but don't really have it.

I'm not sure the abec 7 ceramic's are all they are cracked up to be.  I have them in 4 4500c's, lubed as they came from Jerry Foran's custom shop.  They work great and have added smoothness and distance.  The Boca bearings I got for my 2500's have been very tempermental.  They are extremely retarded by the slightest oil, even Rocket Fuel.  I use them unlubed in saltwater but often flush them(usually because they get contaminated by oil migrating from the levelwind).  I don't think I'll bother with ceramics again after they need replacing.

exp2000

A long time ago I ordered a tube of spool bearings from MRR because the price was so good.

Trouble is they were Chinese bearings and I can tell you from experience that these fall way short of the quality of the Japanese product.

With Boca you will always get a quality product. You get what you pay for.

handi2

They come from China and I purchase them at 10 for $29.00 shipped. The writing on the outside of the bearings is the same as the others.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL