Bay St Louis Redfish

Started by weather_man, November 03, 2015, 02:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weather_man

Took my new (to me) Ambassadeur 7500c and Penn Delmar. Got this guy on the 7500. This is my personal best. Trying to see if my Delmar can get some action too. 7500 didn't do too well. The drag took a long time to kick in. Here's a pic. 36" red, what a fight man.

Steve-O

Primo, Red! They have a big paddle aft and know how to use it. ;D    Is this size still good eating or more C&R?

weather_man

Personally I don't take them over 30", (except for that last 34" I killed, my bad) and it was delicious on the grill. This one was released. What a great fish it was, not so much color to it, but it was a champ. Here's a pic of the 34" on the grill.

weather_man

Quote from: Steve-O on November 03, 2015, 02:59:26 AM
Primo, Red! They have a big paddle aft and know how to use it. ;D    Is this size still good eating or more C&R?

Yup, here's another angle.

Steve-O

Oh man...that looks tasty! Now ya gotta share the seasonings. Looks like butter basting or some other juicy flavor. 

ChileRelleno

Steve-O,
those big Bulls can be good-very good when prepared properly.
Number one is to behead, gut'em and get'em on ice, and keep them out of the cooler water.
And cook them with 48hrs, the fresher the better.
We typically cook them three ways;

Cube the fillets and cook in a delicious chowder. I've a killer recipe in the recipe sub-forum.
Side with a crunchy garlic sourdough or bruschetta.

Cut into uniform strips, dredge in a nicely seasoned breading/batter, deep fry, salt/season before the oil stops dripping and serve piping hot.
A really nice & fresh homemade tartar, dill or salsa sauce is a killer condiment compared to the same'ol lemon/Tabasco.

Leave the skin & scales on the fillet and  cook'em Halfshell on the BBQ.
Slather with lots of olive oil or butter, lemon, onions, fresh herbs and salt, cover tops with aluminum foil and crimp around edges.
Cook over direct heat for 15-20 minutes, then uncover and cook till done.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."