Lexa 300 interesting problem.

Started by WalterWyman, November 04, 2015, 04:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalterWyman

I received a Lexa 300 with a problem that as the kid was reeling, if he was to stop reeling the spool would continue and a
clicking sound was heard. This would also happen if the kid would reel really fast. As I took it apart I found that the end of the Pinion was wore as was the spool pin. These were replaced and the problem was better but I could still get the reel to do this. I pulled my 300 that has only been used like 20 times and it did the same thing. I think as we see these smaller reels used for irons and bigger baits, this is going to be a thing that we see more and more. Possible fix would be to get a beefier spool pin and pinion..... or  tell people just because there is 22 lbs of drag does not mean you can use it to fish tuna or Yellowtail ;D Thanks

Wally
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

johndtuttle

Quote from: WalterWyman on November 04, 2015, 04:34:35 PM
I received a Lexa 300 with a problem that as the kid was reeling, if he was to stop reeling the spool would continue and a
clicking sound was heard. This would also happen if the kid would reel really fast. As I took it apart I found that the end of the Pinion was wore as was the spool pin. These were replaced and the problem was better but I could still get the reel to do this. I pulled my 300 that has only been used like 20 times and it did the same thing. I think as we see these smaller reels used for irons and bigger baits, this is going to be a thing that we see more and more. Possible fix would be to get a beefier spool pin and pinion..... or  tell people just because there is 22 lbs of drag does not mean you can use it to fish tuna or Yellowtail ;D Thanks

Wally

Thanks for the post.

How was the spool tension knob set? So that there was minimal side to side play in the spool??

WalterWyman

Thanks for the question! Yes there was minimal play in the spool. That is why I thought it was so interesting! This along with the wore spool pin and the fat end of the pinion.
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

alantani

it's the spool moving backwards against the pinion gear.  it's common, same as the ambassadeurs.  not a problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mackereljoe

I actually stop using a reel (quantum IR425) because of this
same reason.  Thanks Alan, now my jackpot reel is back in action.