Reel Deal

Started by skneip49, November 07, 2015, 06:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skneip49

Randy, sent you an email, but no reply as yet. Do you have any ideas on what to do with this? I inherited it from a friend.
New, still in the plastic wrap. Hall of Fame, Museum, or in the hands of a user of the Retro Penn stuff?

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I'm sorry for the delay in responding.  I just found your email in the spam folder.  Believe it or not, the 1960's Reel Deals still have a cult following who use them for yo-yoing jigs for deepwater yellowtail.  They say that the fish respond to a jig screaming off of the bottom at warp speed when they will not touch one at any normal pace, and the triple multiplication delivered by the Reel Deal in high gear gives them that speed.  There are also a few collectors out there who would love to have a brand new in the box Reel Deal.  If you can find the right guy, you might be able to get up to $100 for it.  You can probably expect to get $50 from a user, as they are not going to place much of a premium on the "new in box" condition.  I would love to trade you for it, if I have anything that you might be able to use.

Thanks,

Randy

skneip49

Trade? Really need a spool for a Shimano TN40N. If you can find one of those, it's yours. Even if spool is used.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I wish that I had one!

swill88

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on November 07, 2015, 07:33:06 PM
I'm sorry for the delay in responding.  I just found your email in the spam folder.  Believe it or not, the 1960's Reel Deals still have a cult following who use them for yo-yoing jigs for deepwater yellowtail.  They say that the fish respond to a jig screaming off of the bottom at warp speed when they will not touch one at any normal pace, and the triple multiplication delivered by the Reel Deal in high gear gives them that speed.  There are also a few collectors out there who would love to have a brand new in the box Reel Deal.  If you can find the right guy, you might be able to get up to $100 for it.  You can probably expect to get $50 from a user, as they are not going to place much of a premium on the "new in box" condition.  I would love to trade you for it, if I have anything that you might be able to use.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy... how deep is deepwater yt?

skneip49

Two things:

First, this Reel Deal has been sold. Schematics, (Parts List) and instructions attached here.

Second, we usually fish for Yellowtail using YoYo iron in from 20-40 fathoms.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: swill88 on November 07, 2015, 11:17:43 PM
Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on November 07, 2015, 07:33:06 PM

Thanks,

Randy

Steve, they fish in the Gulf of California and their normal depth is from 20-40 fathoms.

Randy... how deep is deepwater yt?

swill88

Thanks guys...

A few weeks ago we were yo-yoing iron inshore San Quintin Baja over the high spots, mostly just under 20 fathoms. We didn't make any bait and the water temp was almost 80. Fish were on the bottom.

Took a few hours of work bouncing the bottom a couple times then ripping the retrieve before we started getting fish.

I was thinking a higher speed retrieve would have been worth a try.

Thanks for posting the instructions.

Dominick

Hey Swill that is a nice load of fish.  One look in the background tells me you earned it.  That is ugly looking conditions.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on November 10, 2015, 05:37:25 PM
Hey Swill that is a nice load of fish.  One look in the background tells me you earned it.  That is ugly looking conditions.  Dominick

First...apologies for hijacking the thread... I guess it's on the yellowtail theme.

That WAS an unusual weather day. Friday, 10/23, about 1000 miles to the south was hurricane Patricia. A steady wind blew straight that direction all day.

That pic was at the end of the day after washing the blood out of the bag. During the catch it was just too much rolling to pose with a fish by us overweight old guys.

The skipper and two of us caught those - the 4th was dog sick.

A great day on the water that had an ominous start  with a super high tide and no bait!