leadcore and 6 to 1 retrieve?

Started by AllenW, November 08, 2015, 10:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenW

Not a salt water fisherman, but you guys use reels large enough for what I need.

I fish a lot off the north shore of lake Superior and run 6 to 10 colors of leadcore, a 100 to 150 foot of leaders and probably twice that  for backing.

Leadcore is about .028, leader and backing about .018, so I have about a 100 yards of leadcore and at least a 200, but probably 200 yards of backing/leader.

I need a bait casting reel with a level wind, clicker 6 to 1 retrieve ratio and will hold at least the line amount I've mentioned.

Price $100-$200 preferred if possible but under $250 for sure.

I looked at the Diawa Saltist but it seems to have a weak ?? anti reverse??
Considering 20# test is what I'll be using, not sure if the anti reverse issue makes any difference.
Also not sure if the 30 will hold all that, looks like the 40 will, but I like the size of the 30.

Going to be used trolling with planer boards, so don't know if size will make much difference anyway.

That reel look like it might be a nice musky reel, but I'm planning on trout/salmon fishing with it now.

Anybody??
TIA

Al

Three se7ens

My first thought would be the okuma solterra series, but it appears the levelwind version only comes in 4.2:1 retrieve.  6:1 is available, but not with the levelwind.  They are fantastic reels, and the price is very good. 

The penn squall and fathom series may be a good option too, but again, neither are available with a levelwind and a 6:1 retrieve. 

thorhammer

This is a tall order. Reels large enough to hold that much line with that retrieve rate are designed to recover line on large, fast pelgics like wahoo and king mackeral that make, long blistering runs turning plastic levelwind cogs into garbage.....this is why they dont have them. Your best bet may a Penn 330GTI or 340 GTI. The 340 may be larger than you want but the spool diameter will help you retrieve moderatley fast . 

AllenW

I have some GT 320's and they will hold almost what I need so a 330 or 340 would work fine, except for the retrieve appears even slower than the 4 to 1 of the 320 gti.

One of the main reasons I want the higher retrieve ratio is running 4 to 9 lines out (two per person MN, three in Wisc waters) and having long lines out, at 68 it gets tiring reeling these line sets in maybe 10-15 times or more during the day, depending of fishing and number of people in boat and this old guy gets tired.. :)

I normally don't use large baits, maybe a 6" spoon or number 14 or so hardbait,  so the 6 to 1 shouldn't be a problem.
Also should I ever find that elusive larger King Salmon, they will take runs as they please, especially with the 12# test I usually use.  :)

But ya, a odd duck is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

al

hurt locker

You might want to look at the Okuma Clarion 453L. Large capacity so you will need to put extra backing on it first.  6/1 gear ratio and a couple of my friends use them for copper also. I think Daiwa makes a Sealine that will work also but I don't know much about then and never used them.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AllenW

Quote from: alantani on November 09, 2015, 08:37:01 PM
a 320 or 330 gti or gt2!

I have 4 320 GTI Penns and thanks to this site I have put carbonex washers, cal's grease and TSI oil in them and they work sweet for trout/salmon fishing, but they are only 4 to 1 ratio and I'm looking for 6 to 1.
If I could change the gears on the 320 I'd be a happy camper but unsure if that's even possible?

I'm leaning towards a Saltist but unsure if the 30 will hold all I need, and the 40 may just be to big, the other option appears to be the Sealine SG57LC, I don't need the line counter, but it's lighter and at $129 may be the most feasible choice.

Thanks all.

Al

I just looked a bit further and seems the sealine has a levelwind reel that may work, thanks.

Tightlines667

I grew up salmon trolling north shore Lake Superior in the 1970s, and went to college at UMD, where I fished the rivers and shore for steelhead, and lake trout.  My first job out of collage was working on the Lake Trout recovery team for the MNDNR at the hatchery just North of town.

Welcome to AT!

Although I have no experience with them, I think the

Penn Squall 20 Levelwind probably with a line counter (SQL20LW-LC) would be the perfect reel for your application.  This reel has   6+1   bearings, a 20 lbs   max drag with the Versa-drag syatem, 6.0:1 gear ratio with   40"/crank retrieve rate.  The spool is lightweight, free floating, and has marker rings.  The handle arm is offset and adjustable, lugs are adjustable, I like the clicker, and the AR ratchet has alot of teeth.  Not sure I am crazy about the silent single AR dog, but otherwise looks to be a great reel.  Price point seems right as well $100-$130 + shipping.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 12, 2015, 12:07:10 AM
I grew up salmon trolling north shore Lake Superior in the 1970s, and went to college at UMD, where I fished the rivers and shore for steelhead, and lake trout.  My first job out of collage was working on the Lake Trout recovery team for the MNDNR at the hatchery just North of town.

Welcome to AT!

Penn Squall 20 Levelwind probably with a line counter (SQL20LW-LC) would be the perfect reel for your application.  This reel has   6+1   bearings, a 20 lbs   max drag with the Versa-drag syatem, 6.0:1 gear ratio with   40"/crank retrieve rate.  The spool is lightweight, free floating, and has marker rings.  The handle arm is offset and adjustable, lugs are adjustable, I like the clicker, and the AR ratchet has alot of teeth.  Not sure I am crazy about the silent single AR dog, but otherwise looks to be a great reel.  Price point seems right as well $100-$130 + shipping.
[/quotTarheel here...gonna have to bust on you for jumping ship on us ....

AllenW

Welcome to AT!

Been around since 2011, but I find most my answers with a search, and don't know much about salt water rigs, so I don't post much.

But thanks, I'll look at the Penn.

Al

thorhammer

Quote from: thorhammer on November 12, 2015, 12:49:43 AM

Welcome to AT!

[/quotTarheel here...gonna have to bust on you for jumping ship on us ....