Penn Exceptional service

Started by valkie, November 09, 2015, 04:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valkie

Hi All;

Its a long story so go make a cuppa.

Last year, my wife and kids saved up and purchased a Penn Defiance 40LW and a Penn rod for xmas.
It certainly looked the part, a nice solid looking reel and my first proper off shore rod and reel.

Imagine my consternation when after catching only one fish, the anti reverse failed on the second, smashing my hand in the process.
I lost that fish, preferring to nurse my bruised and very sore hand that chase a fish.

I took the reel back to where I bought it and it was replaced immediately, no questions, they even swapped over the line.

Now, with work (much overseas travel), crappy weather in Australia when I was home and other commitments (the wife actually expects me to do things around the house when I am home occasionally), I have not been off shore until a few weeks ago.
Guess what?
I caught a small flathead and then on the second fish (a small shark) the damn anti reverse failed again and smacked my hand....again.
This time I fought the fish all the way in, but it would have been comical watching me trying to hold the rod, hold the reel and untangle the shark so that I didn't injure it.

This time I did my lolly, I complained bitterly to Penn and pulled down the reel to fix the issue.

Imagine my surprise when Penn sent me a brand new Penn Squall 50 LW.
Its a beautiful reel and feels much more solid than the old defiance.

It just goes to show, Penn is a reputable brand and just because one type of reel is poorly made.
That is not an indication of all Penn products.

I'm up for a new rod soon, so I'm going Penn.

Its nice to hear a good story sometimes, when usually its all gripes and bad news.
life's pretty dull without fishing

Alto Mare

I'm a full blooded Penn man, but favor the older stuff though. There is good and bad in your story, the reel failed twice :-\. Price of reel doesn't justify that kind of failure.
Do you happen to know if they ever fix the issue with that reel?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

valkie

The gentleman I spoke to said they were aware of the problem and that most people fixed it by adding a spring.
Similar to the process noted in this forum.
He asked me if I wanted a replacement and I said its no point replacing a reel that has an inherent failure point.
Then he asked if I would accept a different reel.
Of course I said yes, but didnt expect one to be sent.
True to their word they sent me a new reel, a much better reel too.

I have not seen the defiance reel for sale since June, in any store.
Perhaps they no longer make them.

Don't get me wrong, the Defiance reel is robust, its just the damn anti reverse that fails, usually at the worst time.
I fixed my defiance, but it now clicks incessantly and makes more noise than the ratchet.
It has now been relegated to the SPARE box, where it will sit unless I desperately need another reel.

I have read many instances of similar anti reverse failures using the friction mechanism to drag the dog into the gears.
In nearly every case they fix it by adding a spring to make the dog mesh.

I honestly didnt expect to be given a new reel, but this Squall 50LW is one really nice reel.
life's pretty dull without fishing

hrogers

Hi, I also bought a Penn Defiance 30 ( Actually my wife bought it for me as a present)
I have no issued with it yet, As soon if I found any problems I will give info.
I did have a very nice pickup but I lost the fish when it went straight for the rocks.The rocks cut my line
No problems experience while fighting the fish.
I did catch a Shad ( Blue fish or Tailor ) of 4.5 kg

Photo of the fish and a photo of the Defiance and dog spring -