How to remove circlips on 5000

Started by Ruedassamba, November 09, 2015, 10:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruedassamba

How do I remove the circlips holding in the bushings on an early model ABU 5000?

GulfOfBothnia

Round nose pliers should do the job.

foakes

Hi Rued --

Do you mean these?

If so, I use a retaining ring remover -- or you could use some small picks.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

The C clip under the handle nut can be removed with a small flat blade screwdriver.  Be careful so it doesn't join all of the missing springs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ruedassamba

tholmes

Kind of late to the party here but I thought I'd share a little trick I use when removing those little clips. I put the reel inside of a gallon-sizs plastic bag when removing c-clips, circlips, etc. It keeps those tiny little buggers from flying off at warp speed to parts unknown, never to be seen again.

Tom

sdlehr

Quote from: tholmes on December 15, 2015, 07:20:21 PM
I put the reel inside of a gallon-sizs plastic bag when removing c-clips, circlips, etc. It keeps those tiny little buggers from flying off at warp speed to parts unknown, never to be seen again.
Tom
Tom, great idea! Thanks for posting!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Lunker Larry

Good suggestions. Also, dragging amagnetic parts tray around on the carpet or floor can find those little buggers when our aging eyes can't.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

josa1

Tom,

The clear plastic bag is such a great idea.  I think you may have dropped the clip/spring market by at least 40%.

I just launched a clip from a 16 VSX today. Luckily, it hit the wall in front of me and fell into a rag.

josa1

swill88

Quote from: tholmes on December 15, 2015, 07:20:21 PM
Kind of late to the party here but I thought I'd share a little trick I use when removing those little clips. I put the reel inside of a gallon-sizs plastic bag when removing c-clips, circlips, etc. It keeps those tiny little buggers from flying off at warp speed to parts unknown, never to be seen again.

Tom

Great tip Tom!
Welcome too!
I have more than a few clips hiding in my house.
A blob of grease works too.