Chuyo 1800

Started by Igor Peric, November 10, 2015, 08:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igor Peric

Chuyo 1800, Japan made... Any idea what it's worth...and how to find a handle for this reel? :-\

and

Steve-O

Not sure how much yours is worth ...but down in Brasil, they seem to be worth between $800 and $1300. USD based on the two I saw for sale online.

I'm no reel expert, but I personally feel the market may be quite small for Chuyo reels. Kind of like the Dolphin/Olympus brand.   A Penn knockoff style with stainless internals but no market value.

My Dolphin reel is a Penn 309 clone and  would not bring $20 on eBay nor FREE on here. So I pitched it. The handle would probably fit your Chuyo if you're interested. I can dig it out of the trash in the man cave. Let me know...I dump my bin each Saturday.

At a guess Chuyo and Dolphin reel brands were part of the "let's rebuild Japan's economy after WWII"  campaign. So before " made in China"  there was " made in Taiwan" for a decade or two.

Before that was "Made in Japan" and limited "made in Germany".

Hopefully, this reply isn't too depressing or a big let down.  It's perhaps close but still conjecture mixed with a 2 minute web search. ::) ;D

Igor Peric

Steve-O

Thanks for the information ... A friend got it from Germany :) And , hi wants to repair it, but hi was not sure it is worth of it.

Igor

Steve-O

Send me your address and I will send you the handle and screws. They just might fit.

I sent you a PM.

Steve

Igor Peric

Igor Peric

Thanks to Steve O, Chuyo 1800 is on the road again ;)

Steve-O

Whaaaaat?!?   You mean to tell me that the Dolphin/Olympus/Penn 309 Clone reel handle, nut and retaining screw that I sent you actually fit?!?

Wow!  Made my day, Igor. I did have my doubts but was feeling lucky for you.

Behind the scenes....I sent Igor said reel handle, nut and retaining screw after tossing the whole reel away since noone here or on ebay wanted it. The pawl was worn and I am decluttering my life of junk.

Anyway, I sent it to his friend in FL who hand delivered it to Igor while visiting Montenegro recently on holiday.

Ta da!   The Chuyo is back in action.

A pic shared from across the pond.

Igor Peric

Yes, reel handle, nut and retaining screw...all fits!  :)

Fred had previously sent me reel handle for Mitchell and D.A.M, you sent parts for Chuyo... So it's a great thing to have people here who are willing to help in the search for parts.

Thanks again!

p.s. Pomatomus saltatrix & colorful stones, photo from blog archive ;)