Barrel Swivels

Started by Rivverrat, November 17, 2015, 02:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I'm looking for a good quality barrel swivel. A few years back I purchased a few thousand but there have been a couple of failures. I'm wanting to buy in bulk. They need to be able to handle drag to 33 lbs. I'm hoping I can avoid the cost of swivels with bearings.

wallacewt

crane swivels are normally better quality. why barrel?

RowdyW

Most of the crane swivels I see are brass. A lot of the better barrel swivels I see are ss. I get the Bass Pro Shops house brand (Offshore Angler) ss barrel swivels. A #10 which is very small has a rating of 65#. They are sold in 10 & 50 packs.

conchydong

I think Spro makes a very small, yet strong swivel for its size, probably the stealthiest.
Rite Angler and Roscoe are two other well made swivels.

handi2

Quote from: conchydong on November 18, 2015, 12:17:17 AM
I think Spro makes a very small, yet strong swivel for its size, probably the stealthiest.
Rite Angler and Roscoe are two other well made swivels.

The Spro swivels are super small for the rating but I haven't had one fail. It' probably because I can use a super strong rated swivel that is much smaller than a comparable Rosco type. I don't use the tiny ones b/c the ring is so thin and may cut the mono.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

day0ne

I don't think you can go wrong with Spro (Gamakatsu) swivels.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Tightlines667

Quote from: day0ne on November 18, 2015, 06:16:20 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with Spro (Gamakatsu) swivels.

Agreed! 

I use these for lighter gear, and bearing swivels for trolling gear.  There is another stronger Torpedo type swivel, and Futaba commercial style swivels, popular here in Hawaii, that are available as well.  But I'm sure this is not what you are looking for.  Though thry are heavy, and rough (do not really swivel all that freely), they are strong.

Be aware, most swivels will fail well below their posted/boasted rating.  I seem to recall some great article outlining scientific test results of different swivels available smewhere online, but can't remember where?
Several years back I remember testing several different manufactured types/brands myself, and was quite surprised at the results.  Most broke at 50-75% of the stated value.  A quick jerk will cause them to fail under less load, then steady, even pressure.  This is also the case with crimps, knots, etc...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 18, 2015, 07:59:41 AM

I use these for lighter gear, and bearing swivels for trolling gear.  There is another stronger Torpedo type swivel, and Futaba commercial style swivels, popular here in Hawaii, that are available as well.  But I'm sure this is not what you are looking for.  Though thry are heavy, and rough (do not really swivel all that freely), they are strong.

Be aware, most swivels will fail well below their posted/boasted rating.  I seem to recall some great article outlining scientific test results of different swivels available smewhere online, but can't remember where?
Several years back I remember testing several different manufactured types/brands myself, and was quite surprised at the results.  Most broke at 50-75% of the stated value.  A quick jerk will cause them to fail under less load, then steady, even pressure.  This is also the case with crimps, knots, etc...

This has been what Ive found also. It is also why all my terminal rigging is 2-3 times the strength of my main line. Also I have been upgrading my reels over the past 2-3 years. This is placing for more stress on my rigging.      Daron, THANKS A LOT FOR THAT LINK !!....Jeff

Three se7ens

I too have had good luck with the stainless barrell swivels from bass pro.  Not a single failure of the stainless ones at 30 lbs of drag.  I have had the brass ones pull the eyes straight, and even break under a fraction of their rated test though.

The stainless ones are smaller, so you can run a much heavier rating while keeping the size reasonable.

Rivverrat

Three se7ens, thanks for your reply. Your giving the drag level your fishing & the swivels your using is exactly the info I was wanting.... Jeff