penn 9/0 drag rebuild

Started by blktwr2660, January 21, 2011, 06:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blktwr2660

Hi,am new to this site and glad to have found it.Need a little help in rebulding a drag assembly for a pair of vintage(made in USA) 9/0 sentors wich are going to be used for SWORDFISHING.Here in so.fla  8) we have been blessed (Give Thanks for the banning of long liners :)Want to use 100 lb.braid w/80lb.top shot.Need to know if (1) A stainless steel gear sleeve is availble.(2) Would you recommend useing a HT100 drag washer under the gear as in your other Penn reel mod's.(3)Can I double-up the Bellivile washers to increase drag preesure.Thank you in advance for your help and advice for I know what a busy man you truly are ;)
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

alantani

i missed this post somehow!   ???

electramate might have a gear sleeve for you, but you should be ok for now.  definitely put an HT-100 drag washer under the main gear.  i think a #6-114 should work.  one belleville should work fine.  check out the 6/0 kolekar grips.  they are a huge improvement over the stock handle grips.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=158.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

blktwr2660

Thank you for your advice.Sorry :(for the delay on responding,go out of town A lot)Did as you advised put a ht-100 washer under bridge sleeve,bulit drag up w/new drag kit from peen reel parts(Great web site,service and information)electratemate dosent have a link to were I can locate a stainless steel bridge but that's ok will follow your advice and stay w/the orignal brass one for now(will find out soon if it will hold up ::)Now for a new question the orignal side plates are really dull,Have tried everything I know to bring them back,ie:plastic cleaner,polish,etc.it helps,but not what i'm looking for(Very picky on looks,one day w/your permission, I'll post pic's of my boat,and then maybe you'll understand why I'm this way :)(Love Custom"s).What do you think of painting the side plates w/a paint formulated for plastics( Have used them for color change on my custom built rod's they seam to hold up pretty well) As always when you get a chance to answer this,I thank you,for I know what a truley busy man you are.PS:Puting every thing back together really kicked my a!*$-must find a easier way.
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

Bryan Young

You are more than welcome to post pics of your boat.  Introduce your self while you are at it and also add an avitar of yourself. :)

I have seen painted sideplate, and they do add a custom look.  I'd say, go for it.  At least, if it ever gets stolen, you could clearly identify it as long as it's not black, red, or maroon. ;D

Regarding the HT-100 washer under the bridge sleeve, the answer is not necessary.  It should be placed between the bridge's gear sleeve and the main gear.  Washers placed under the bridge gear sleeve are usually metal (brass or stainless) and is used to take up the slack in the bridge gear sleeve.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

what actually works for a spacer under the gear sleeve is a teflon washer.  accurate uses them and they work great!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!