Tiagra 80W rebuild

Started by Lowprofile, November 18, 2015, 02:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowprofile

Just got an older model tiagra. How can you tell the model? 1st gen, 2nd etc?

Questions.

Can I fit tye ratcheting lever from the new model on the old model?

What's the upgrade to the 2 speed system?

How can I remove the reel foot and get it back on?

Tightlines667

As I recall, off of the top of my head, the oldest ones (first gen.) have; a different handle (fits newer ones as well), different (SS) bearings, a larger (diameter) set of main gears with a slightly lower ratio (If replacement is needed you have to do sets of 2 or 4), and a different clicker pawl retainer.  The anodizing, and drag material (or glue/ bonding process used?) might be slightly difderent as well.  The older drags seem to wear quicker then the new (both are the same weave CF though), and the anodizing doesn't seem to hold up quite as well.  Not sure if the earliest Tiagras had the hydothermal device as well?  Also the plating on the Bellevilles may have been different?

These are basically the same as the newer gen. reels, and all parts (including the 2 speed mech.) are interchangable.

Hope that helps?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 18, 2015, 08:31:30 PM
As I recall, off of the top of my head, the oldest ones (first gen.) have; a different handle (fits newer ones as well), different (SS) bearings, a larger (diameter) set of main gears with a slightly lower ratio (If replacement is needed you have to do sets of 2 or 4), and a different clicker pawl retainer.  The anodizing, and drag material (or glue/ bonding process used?) might be slightly difderent as well.  The older drags seem to wear quicker then the new (both are the same weave CF though), and the anodizing doesn't seem to hold up quite as well.  Not sure if the earliest Tiagras had the hydothermal device as well?  Also the plating on the Bellevilles may have been different?

These are basically the same as the newer gen. reels, and all parts (including the 2 speed mech.) are interchangable.

Hope that helps?

That's it. Smaller bearings and no hydothermal device.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

UKChris

Was there a single-speed Tiagra 80W? I had not heard of that before and I thought all were two-speed. However, I didn't know there was an early model without the hydro-thingy and that it had smaller gears. So, once more I learn from you all. Thanks

ohfishalee

Quote from: UKChris on November 26, 2015, 02:40:46 PM
Was there a single-speed Tiagra 80W? I had not heard of that before and I thought all were two-speed. However, I didn't know there was an early model without the hydro-thingy and that it had smaller gears. So, once more I learn from you all. Thanks

not a Tiagra but this is the reel I believe you are referring to:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13145.0

UKChris

Ah that must be it - many thanks!

ohfishalee

Quote from: UKChris on January 18, 2016, 02:13:10 PM
Ah that must be it - many thanks!

Great reels those Shimano Triton Trolling Series 80w.

I have 4 or 5 of them but they are 9nly good IMHO  for a few applications unless you don't mind the single speed.

I use them for trolling the deeper reefs  for large black grouper and intermittently for wahoo trolling to fight  from the gunnel.

ohfishalee

Why did shimano change the hole size for their handles 8n the old vs new Tiagra 80?

Just went to change out a handle only to find that it won't even fit over the lever shaft body TT0308  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Pissed off now! Only thing that fits is an old tiagra 130 handle.

When did they change the O.D. of the lever shaft body and how can I get a matching handle or do I need to buy a new lever shaft body and does that new part marry up to the old lever shaft assembly???

Tightlines667

That sucks!

Unfortunately, I don't have any Tiagra 80s in my bench right now to take a closer look at.  You said the newer handle arm does not fit the older Tiagra.  Can you be more specific as to the actual measurements of the inside of the opening on the newer verses the older style arm?  (I.e. does the new opening need to be larger to marry correctly?  Or does the old shaft need to be larger?) If it's the former you can probably use a Dremel and enlarge it by hand, as we commonly do with the Shimano handles to adapt to the Newell drive shafts, or have a machinist do the work.  Or you could drill out the handle on the old arm, and replace it with the new Shimano handle and shaft, or an aftermarket handle.  Or return the Shimano assembly and buy an aftermarket handle assembly (such as those by Alan, Tiburon, or there is another company that makes great aftermarket arms for 80 and 130 Penns and Shimano that escapes me at the moment? or others).

I would give Shimano parts a call and talk with them about obtaining discontinued handles.  

Or you may be able to find an older assembly available for sale online (Alan or Brian may have handle arms).

Sucks you may have misunderstood my post (which was simply a list of differences I could remember off of the top of my head, and not necessarily a complete list). I hope I didn't cause you to get into trouble with the wrong parts in any way?

Regardless... you've still got options for replacing/upgrading the handles on these older Tiagras.

Also, I notice you said.. "... handle only to find that it won't even fit over the lever shaft body TT0308..."

The TT0308 is a cam assembly part that marries to the lever.. maybe you misspoke?.. you are not having problems with fitting your lever, or the cam assembly functioning properly.. are you?

Best of luck!

I'm sure you will get it sorted.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Not sure if I misspoke but the part that TT 0003A screws into what  looks like TT 0308 on the parts schematics for Ti80

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 25, 2016, 01:40:36 AM
That sucks!

Unfortunately, I don't have any Tiagra 80s in my bench right now to take a closer look at.  You said the newer handle arm does not fit the older Tiagra.  Can you be more specific as to the actual measurements of the inside of the opening on the newer verses the older style arm?  (I.e. does the new opening need to be larger to marry correctly?  Or does the old shaft need to be larger?) If it's the former you can probably use a Dremel and enlarge it by hand, as we commonly do with the Shimano handles to adapt to the Newell drive shafts, or have a machinist do the work.  Or you could drill out the handle on the old arm, and replace it with the new Shimano handle and shaft, or an aftermarket handle.  Or return the Shimano assembly and buy an aftermarket handle assembly (such as those by Alan, Tiburon, or there is another company that makes great aftermarket arms for 80 and 130 Penns and Shimano that escapes me at the moment? or others).

I would give Shimano parts a call and talk with them about obtaining discontinued handles.  

Or you may be able to find an older assembly available for sale online (Alan or Brian may have handle arms).

Sucks you may have misunderstood my post (which was simply a list of differences I could remember off of the top of my head, and not necessarily a complete list). I hope I didn't cause you to get into trouble with the wrong parts in any way?

Regardless... you've still got options for replacing/upgrading the handles on these older Tiagras.

Also, I notice you said.. "... handle only to find that it won't even fit over the lever shaft body TT0308..."

The TT0308 is a cam assembly part that marries to the lever.. maybe you misspoke?.. you arn'the having problems with fitting your lever, or the cam assembly functioning properly.. are you?

Best of luck!

I'miss sure you will get it sorted.

ohfishalee

Also

Shimano parts diagram shows the exact same part number for Tiagra 50W LRS and 80WA handle assembly as TT 703 I believe the number is.

Even if it isn't 703 - it is the same number on both schematics.

The opening on my 50W LRSA handle is approx 9.49 mm. That's the new model ergonomic handle.

The opening on my old version 80W is approx 10.49 mm. That's the original model handle.

Might have to buy a Dremel.

Tightlines667

Quote from: ohfishalee on January 27, 2016, 11:57:56 PM

Might have to buy a Dremel.

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Just proceed slowly because you want a good tight fir, and you can not put more metal back on.  Maybe checkout some of the Newell converated Shimano handle arms in other threads.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Ok  brain fart alert !!! !!! !!! !!!

I tried to put TLD50LRSA handles on which are a diff p/n ALTOGETHER! Never woulda fit!!!!

Sorry for wasting you guys' time.

Tightlines667

Quote from: ohfishalee on January 29, 2016, 10:49:42 AM
Ok  brain fart alert !!! !!! !!! !!!

I tried to put TLD50LRSA handles on which are a diff p/n ALTOGETHER! Never woulda fit!!!!

Sorry for wasting you guys' time.

Gavin,
No worries.  I was sorta wondering why the part number you were giving me was off as well. 

So to be clear, the older (plastic) Tiagra handle assembly can be upgraded with a newer (Rubberized) one with no modification.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

I don't think there will be a problem at all with the upgrading of the TI80WA handles (but I can only confirm when I order new handles).

Right now Shimano is on my #### list as they refuse to assist me via email after i believe that monies have been placed on hold on my debit card used to process an order that never went through on their website!!

Told them I can't call long distance - from my location it incurs a charge!!
Called once and was on hold for 3 minutes.

They send me the bog standard response of :

fishsitefeedback <FishSiteFeedback@shimano.com>  Jan 26 at 12:22 PM

To: Gavin Lee

Message body

Please give us a call at 877-577-0600 and one of my reps can assist you.

Thanks

^^^ from Shimano

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 29, 2016, 04:37:27 PM

Gavin,
No worries.  I was sorta wondering why the part number you were giving me was off as well. 

So to be clear, the older (plastic) Tiagra handle assembly can be upgraded with a newer (Rubberized) one with no modification.