Penn 113h ??

Started by Tidetime, January 21, 2011, 09:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tidetime

First off Thanks Mr. Tani for the great information on this site. 

I have penn 113h that has a problem disengaging the spool.  It sounds like the pinion and the spool will not completely separate. After tearing it apart, there is some damage to the top of the pinion.  I decided to clean everything, regrease and put it back together to see if that would help.  No dice, worked great until I attached the star drag, and handle.  The slightest pressure causes the pinion and spool to catch, while the lever is set to free spool.  After more reading I thought maybe it was the dog spring, took it apart and tried again, same problem.  Any other suggestions?

Mark

Taily

I recently had something similar in one of my 113H. On one of my 70's issue 4/0's the handle side bearing aperture in the side plate seems to have slightly stretched/worn over time and the chrome bearing housing seems to sit deeper in the sideplate than my other two 113H's, causing the spool to move more towards the handle ever so slightly (being pushed over by the nipping up the bearing on the clicker side sideplate to take-up the axial play in the spool). This wouldn't normally be an issue with most 113H's however as I had modded mine slightly with a Newell 4:1 gearset and slipped a HT100 drag washer between the sleeve and the maingear it gave the standard aluminium spool something to rub on. I actually gave myself some breathing space by using a single layer of black insulation tape on the outide contact surface of the handle side bearing housing, trimmed so as not to be visible from the outside of the reel. Another suggestion (if this is the case with your reel) is to find a small shim of some description to sit under the handle side bearing inside its housing.   

I'd suggest also checking that the eccentric jack hasn't been flattened slightly (part# 11-113 - the part that actually slides down and uses the two small ramps to disengage the yoke/pinion). The yoke (12-60) needs to be very flat and not excessively worn too. If the pinion (13-113H) is damaged I'd suggest replacing it before it damages the maingear, they don't cost a great deal.

Regards,

Dave   
Nunc est bibendum....

alantani

Dave, very nice call!  Yes, sometimes the pinion gear gets stuck.  Forcing it will flatten out those ramps on the jack.  The spool could also be displaced too far to the right.  The result would be the same.  Very nice call !
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!