Making a wiiide Penn #65 Long Beach

Started by Superhook, November 24, 2015, 01:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteYou know Ted, this makes it number two. You put my name tag all over the reel and then you give it away to someone else, what's up with that? I thought me and you were tighter than that  Roll EyesGrin

OK. I can see I have opened a can of worms here, unintentionally. I had no idea that reel was promised to you Sal. I am innocent of all back door dealing here. I can honor Ted's commitment and bring peace back to the homestead here in the world previous promises. Just PM me and we will work out a deal. Sorry, but, my deals do not include little jars of scrumptious tuna fish. ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 25, 2015, 06:08:48 AM
QuoteYou know Ted, this makes it number two. You put my name tag all over the reel and then you give it away to someone else, what's up with that? I thought me and you were tighter than that  Roll EyesGrin

OK. I can see I have opened a can of worms here, unintentionally. I had no idea that reel was promised to you Sal. I am innocent of all back door dealing here. I can honor Ted's commitment and bring peace back to the homestead here in the world previous promises. Just PM me and we will work out a deal. Sorry, but, my deals do not include little jars of scrumptious tuna fish. ;D
No, not at all Mike, you don't have anything to apologize about,  besides, I don't know much about your reel.
As said above, I was only messing with my buddy. ;D
I have my share of  Anniversary reels, I started collecting those a long time ago, I'm all set!

Sorry Ted, we pulled away from your beautiful Long Beach reels. Those are beautiful.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Ok you guys, now here is how it went down. I had the 114H listed on the big auction site, but decided to see if a friend wanted it (minus ebay fees), so I offered it to Dom, Sal, and Daron, but in my haste, I did not consider that it was almost midnight on the other coast. Well, Daron musta been burning the midnight oil cause he replied right away and pounced on the "friends" only price that was so low he could not refuse. We have a don't ask don't tell policy on private sales, so this where the story ends....except for something up my sleeve...........maybe.

Mike, your boxed 114H red reel is irreplaceable in its condition, you may regret letting that one go.

Sal, this thread can go its own direction, it's all good. I just wanted to share the info about how simple it is to make a 65W. So if a 60 is 250yds, and a 65 is 300yds, then the 65W would be 350yds.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

Hey folks I just opened a thread specifically to address Anni reels; please comment!

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, your boxed 114H red reel is irreplaceable in its condition, you may regret letting that one go.

Oh Nooooooooo!. It is not for sale. The offer was only to Sal as a Peace Offering that I can now see was not needed. That reel is holding a "Holy Grail" position as we speak. I have raised it to a level of Sainthood..................................<:O)

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 25, 2015, 08:37:13 PM
QuoteMike, your boxed 114H red reel is irreplaceable in its condition, you may regret letting that one go.

Oh Nooooooooo!. It is not for sale. The offer was only to Sal as a Peace Offering that I can now see was not needed. That reel is holding a "Holy Grail" position as we speak. I have raised it to a level of Sainthood..................................<:O)

Ha ha, Mike that reel is yours to do as you please. A good wholesale price for a friend would be $500  ;) ;)

Ron Jones

So, I love the 3/0, but I don't really see how this isn't making a 3/0. Maybe a different main gear (60 vs 65) but with Bryans stack I don't think that would matter. Really cool idea, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

I got it, the stand is different. I don't know that you could put one of these together for less than just buying a 3/0, but pretty cool none the less.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

The LB has a lower gear ratio than a 3/0 if for some reason you need that.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RowdyW

Quote from: noyb72 on November 26, 2015, 03:47:26 AM
I got it, the stand is different. I don't know that you could put one of these together for less than just buying a 3/0, but pretty cool none the less.
Ron
If you happen to have an extra 60 or 65 that is laying around collecting dust & have a stand & posts from a 500 that you converted all you need is a decent 112 3/0 spool. Or shop ebay for a deal on parts. Maybe you could ask some of the members here if they want to donate to your project or sell parts cheap. Just some suggestions if you want to try one out. Good luck.

Ron Jones

Sure, I don't know that I NEED a franken 3/0, but when has that ever stopped anyone. Scotts says the 3/0 is slower at 2.25. It would be cool to put one of these together with a Newell stand, especially if Jigmaster bars would fit. Apparently there is such a thing as a 29L-112. Probably made of Hens teeth but it could be an interesting reel. Especially for dragging a plastic slow on the bottom.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

RowdyW

Ron, Jigmaster bars don't fit, almost but not quite (been there,tried that). You have to use posts. I don't think I would waste a Newell stand on one but it is unique to have one or two. I went through my Penn spare parts and came up with enough for three but I'm short two spools. I've got one coming for $8, now I just need one more. Posts are easy to find, you can use 500,200,113 4/0, 113h,etc. There's always 200 & 500 stands around. If you think that you want to build one I've got an extra 200/500 stand to start you off. Time for a scavenger hunt. ;D     Rudy

Maxed Out

[/quote]If you happen to have an extra 60 or 65 that is laying around collecting dust & have a stand & posts from a 500 that you converted all you need is a decent 112 3/0 spool.
[/quote]

Yahtzee !! That's exactly right. I'm sure there are lots of members that have those jigmaster parts collecting dust from a frame conversion.

Yes, it is basically a 3/0 without the outer rings and missing 2 posts, but what that does is change the center of gravity and makes it a very smooth and very well balanced reel. Smooth as silk.

I also put these parts onto a Delmar which has no chrome rings in or out, and that is a smooth reel also. The 60 & 65 LB are basically same as a Delmar 285, so take your pic, they all get widened with these same parts. ;)

Ron Jones

They are also the same as a 85. If I ever did do one of these that is the reel I would start with. Is the post spacing the same as a surfmaster?
Ron
Ronald Jones
"