Making a wiiide Penn #65 Long Beach

Started by Superhook, November 24, 2015, 01:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhook

Ted's Teasors : From the Back . Long beach #60 , #65 & a wide #65

The Wide #65

Ted's 'How To "

Its a 200 seat (jigmaster, surfmaster) and frame posts and a Standard 3/0 senator spool....60 or 65 plates both work. A non clamp seat would be the 155 that would fit in also. I like the clamp seat

I'm still flabbergasted about how smooth this wide 65 is. Likely has lots to do with the stainless 3/0 spool.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

All of Ted's reels are pristine, I believe he manufactures his own ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 24, 2015, 01:44:56 AM

Yep, I admit it. I use a 3D printer to make all my reels. ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteAll of Ted's reels are pristine, I believe he manufactures his own Grin.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tightlines667

A LongBeach,
by any other name,
still as sweet.

Beautiful reels!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Mudman

Penn Chronology

If I had anything that clean on one of my shelves, I would look for the proper owner because I know It could not be mine.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 24, 2015, 06:48:34 AM
If I had anything that clean on one of my shelves, I would look for the proper owner because I know It could not be mine.

Beg your pardon Sir Mike, but rumor has it you have the nicest anniversary 114H in the known universe and a few dozen other stunning reels, and yours are all original, while mine are manufactured in my root cellar.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

Quote from: Max Doubt on November 24, 2015, 02:06:17 AM

Yep, and the name of my machine shop is OCD...Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. ;D There, I finally came outta the closet....sorda. :o

The wide 65 is same width as a jigmaster, but the long beach plates and spool are slightly larger diameter. Newly christened as the "400yd long beach 65", which is same yardage as the bulkier long beach 66. Too bad Penn never marketed these wide 65's, I bet they would have sold them by the truckload. I have plans to build a couple more and put them to use.
I was playing around some years back when I first started tinkering with reels and found whoa, Penn stuff is interchangeable....the 65 frankepen from spare parts was my first such i think. Cool little reel.

Penn Chronology

QuoteBeg your pardon Sir Mike, but rumor has it you have the nicest anniversary 114H in the known universe and a few dozen other stunning reels, and yours are all original, while mine are manufactured in my root cellar.

Some of those rumors are true. I do have one of the finest 114H reels on Earth, That is because I bought from a very compulsive individual, I have nothing to do with its creation>>>> ;D

Alto Mare

You know Ted, this makes it number two. You put my name tag all over the reel and then you give it away to someone else, what's up with that? I thought me and you were tighter than that  ::);D
oh well, at least I got my Tuna, can't eat a fishing reel ;)....
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

He is always moving reels Sal. He is not like us. ;)
That Jalapeno Tuna of his was Delicious!
I gave him a handle for a 10/0 he had.
Then I turned around and bought the reel. ;D
Life is Good!

tristan

Quote from: Max Doubt on November 24, 2015, 02:06:17 AM

Yep, and the name of my machine shop is OCD...Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. ;D There, I finally came outta the closet....sorda. :o

The wide 65 is same width as a jigmaster, but the long beach plates and spool are slightly larger diameter. Newly christened as the "400yd long beach 65", which is same yardage as the bulkier long beach 66. Too bad Penn never marketed these wide 65's, I bet they would have sold them by the truckload. I have plans to build a couple more and put them to use.

Man, that would hold a heap of 50lb braid, wouldn't it?

Very nice looking reel.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 25, 2015, 04:49:17 AM
He is always moving reels Sal. He is not like us. ;)
The one you just got had my name tag all over it as well before he contacted you ;D...enjoy it buddy ;)

Ted is still alright with me, I'm just messing with him... we go way back.