Avet LX 6.01 Single Speed

Started by spes, January 23, 2011, 08:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spes

Hello,
I just opened up my LX for the first time.
   Does the drive shaft come out after removing the acorn nut, friction ring and connection arm?
    Drag washer glued in? It looked very clean so I let it be for now.
The spool bearings had a blue seal on one side, open on the other.
I cleaned them out with carb cleaner, gently blew dried them with a can of air and applied a couple of drops of Xtreme Reel.
The break bearing had seals on both sides. They came out quite easily with a dental pick. Cleaned it out and packed with yamaha lube.
Not knowing what to do with the drive shaft I put it back together, eager to see if I helped or hurt the reel.
I used a ten pound weight to set the drag at strike before cleaning.
I had 58 seconds of free spool.
After cleaning and putting it back together, set it again with the ten pound weight at strike. I then got 1 minute 58 seconds at free spool.  ;D
Since I still have 80 days until cod season opens ;) I will probably go back in to wet the spool bearings again.  
Should I go at the  drive shaft bearings then?
Thanks,
Spes

kamuwela

taking care of the other bearings will add to your free spool time. all liquid and no grease will give you even more time.

spes

I thought only the spool bearings get the liquid? Yamaha on everything else.

alantani

add cal's drag grease to the drag washer, pack all the non-spool bearings with grease, and leave the spool bearings open.  get started now.  80 days will fly by and we'll be fishing in no time!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

spes

Thanks Alan,
Couple of things,
1) should both sides of bearings be open? They had a blue shield on one side.
2) Does the drive shaft come out after removing the acorn nut, friction ring and connection arm?
3a) I bought a 14 oz grease gun, and a tube of Yahmaha Marine grease. This stuff is a baby blue, not the dark blue like the stuff you mailed me?
3b) Put new tube in new grease gun,,,pump,pump, pump  doesn't seem to want to build pressure?

alantani

for spool bearings, i leave both sides open to breathe.  you have to remove the bar that connects the main gear to the dog and then drop out the main gear.  if your grease is baby blue, i hope you did not get the trailer axle stuff.  it's sticky as hell.  i hate it.  don't know what's up with your grease gun.  you pushed the plunger rod back in, right?

spes

The tube of grease I got says Yamalube. It's in an all black tube with orange lettering. That the wrong stuff?
Not being sure I did use the stuff u sent me on the brake bearing.
But I did slap some of the stuff I got on the antireverse gear and pinion gear. Should I get that off?
Thanks,

alantani

if is says "marine" you got the right stuff.  if not, it is close enough.  it should be dark blue, though.