star drag

Started by fishhawk, December 03, 2015, 06:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

Hi, my question is what is the part # for a 10-66 star with the indention on one side? Or even the reel that it comes stock on and i can look it up. Or is there even such a creature? Or maybe someone knows the largest (diameter)  star that has the indention?
thank-you

foakes

Hi FH --

The 66 is used on the 66 - 67 - 68 Long Beaches.

You could substitute a 10-49 which has the indentation -- same size as the 10-66.

Just tried it on a 68 -- and it fits the sleeve just fine.

There is a potential problem when cranked down to full lock -- the indented star impacts the top of the bearing.

This can be solved by using a spacer that is 1/16" longer, an additional drag washer, or heavier spring washer.

But since the tolerance space inside the sideplate is limited -- my choice would be the slightly longer spacer.

There are possibly other stars that might work -- but this will work for sure.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Mr. Fred,

What is the largest drag star to fit the small sleeves?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fishhawk

Wow, Mr. fred you are the star man! I use long sleeves (bp) and these stars seem to work better. Thanx-a-ton!

foakes

Keith,

I think the 66 size is the largest -- the 49 is the same star, except with the indentation.

This is a fairly unique size -- fits 66, 67, 68 -- the larger Long Beaches.

Like you said, the limiting factor is the sleeve diameter -- unless you go custom from one of our parts fabricators like 777 or Tom.

I always prefer a larger star for better leverage and control when a good fish is on.

Could be others that will fit -- but the sleeve size limits any of the larger Senators, or even the 349 Master Mariner -- because their sleeves are heavier with a larger diameter.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.