Penn Senator 4/0 Spool

Started by AndrewC, December 04, 2015, 10:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewC

Hi there

I have a problem with a spool on an old 4/0 Senator.

As you can see in the photo some of the chrome has flaked off the spool.  This is only on the outside of the spool (Left hand side) and the rest of the spool is fine.

My question is it worth while having it re chromed? Will it effect anything if I dont get it re chromed?

If I do get it re done is it necessary to press the shaft out prior to re chroming?
The worlds a better place when its upside down

Ron Jones

If the rest of the spool is fine, you have many years of life left in that spool. I'd spool it up and fish the pee out of it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Just fine the way it is --

It will perform just as new --

If it were mine -- and I was going to fish it -- like all of my Penns -- it would get a good coating of grease on the spool ends (where the flaking has happened), inside the plates, under the rings, all screws, etc..

This helps to keep the salt water out -- and the reel much easier to service every year or two.

If the chroming was flaking off where the line wraps on the spool -- I would either take all of the chrome off, and polish it as is -- then go ahead and fish it.

Or, I would just toss the spool.  Any flaking chrome near the line may cut or nick the line.  Not worth the chance.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gstours

It appears to be just cosmetic and wont hurt anything, like others have said , just polish it up, apply lite grease to both outer sides and the star shaped clicker metal part of the spool.  and grease the sideplate clicker metal parts lightly.  And fish it.  You will not live long enough to wear it out.
   And grease the sideplate screws too before assembly as this will insure your grandkids can pull it apart like you did and wonder wow?

FatTuna

I'd just fish it as it is. Once it's in the reel and has line on it, you probably won't even think about it. If it bothers you, it's easier to sell that one and buy a better one.

Shark Hunter

The inside lip looks good. I wouldn't think twice about fishing it like it is.
Just grease it up and slap it back together.
I've never seen one flake like that on the inside. It was probably the lubricant used had a reaction to the chrome.
Life is Good!