Aluminum Jig Master side plate sets

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Thanks Joe. Adjustable bearings should always be backed a little when assembling the reel, I always do.
Spool shafts vary, not by much, but they do.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Joe, me asking would be just as good as you asking, we're all equal here ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

He are a few pics. See the knurled cup their is nothing there to center the spool. Also you can see their is no step so you can adjust forever and it won't touch the spool shaft. On the gear side you can see the step. The step allows for adjustment without it the spool can't be adjusted without a post. The spool is a Tiburon 99 spool.

swill88

Quote from: mikeysm on December 28, 2015, 12:37:54 AM
He are a few pics. See the knurled cup their is nothing there to center the spool. Also you can see their is no step so you can adjust forever and it won't touch the spool shaft. On the gear side you can see the step. The step allows for adjustment without it the spool can't be adjusted without a post. The spool is a Tiburon 99 spool.

I'm putting a 99 Newell spool & Accurate frame with Tom's plates too.

My bearing cup came with the spacer and it's a perfect fit.

Waiting on a few more parts before finishing and posting.

mikeysm

That is what I was try to explain to everyone it's not there. And it needs to be to get spool adjustment. Also The bearing is going to drift out of the cup there nothing to keep it there. I am using a small spring to keep the bearing in the cup.

swill88

Quote from: mikeysm on December 28, 2015, 01:10:46 AM
That is what I was try to explain to everyone it's not there. And it needs to be to get spool adjustment. Also The bearing is going to drift out of the cup there nothing to keep it there. I am using a small spring to keep the bearing in the cup.

A spring wouldn't hurt but I'm thinking the o-ring will provide enough friction.

We'll find out!

mikeysm

The spring is to keep the bearing in the cup. Without it the bearing will come out of the cup . Theirs no step to hold the bearing in the cup. Most reels have a retainer to hold the bearing in. Remember this reel was designed to run bushings so the step wasn't needed.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on December 27, 2015, 10:58:02 PM
Quote from: Robert Janssen on December 27, 2015, 09:50:33 PM
Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on December 19, 2015, 12:05:23 AM
I received a letter today from St Charles, Mo. The envelope was empty. So any one know who this is?  ???

It is from the National Gun Owners Association / University of Guns.
Try asking in the Firearms section? Or just phone them?

http://universityofguns.com/contact-us/

Thanks, I thought it was a member trying to send payment. Should have done my homework!

Tom, maybe they're looking for some custom revolver hand plates ;D

Tightlines667

I doubt it.. more likely they are trying to get not give money ;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

Quote from: mikeysm on December 28, 2015, 01:22:45 AM
The spring is to keep the bearing in the cup. Without it the bearing will come out of the cup . Theirs no step to hold the bearing in the cup. Most reels have a retainer to hold the bearing in. Remember this reel was designed to run bushings so the step wasn't needed.

Mickysm, now I see what you are saying.. but you are talking about the knurled cup right? There is a step the bearing sits on and is flush with the inside edge of the cup.

On closer inspection... the knurled bearing cups I bought separately came with the spacer stud. The one that came with the plates doesn't have this spacer but mine works fine without it. The spacer fills the cup up to the stop. It might get in the way of a longer spool shaft.

Not sure why the spacer is needed.  Tom?

There's no where for the bearing to go towards the spool anyway.

If your spool doesn't fit, what's your frame width? Mine is 2.125".

steve

mikeysm

When I receive the post from Tom. I will post a picture to show what I am talking about.

swill88

When you put the bearing in the cup does it drop down?

mikeysm

On the handle side it does a Newell plastic shim washer will fix that problem. If you don't use one the bearing will slide over the post and will not completely support the spool shaft on the handle side. The Knurled cup does not allow this to happen. But it will come out of the cup if their is a gap between the clicker gear and bearing. I am using a small spring over the spool shaft to hold the bearing in the cup.

swill88

Quote from: mikeysm on December 28, 2015, 03:01:57 AM
On the handle side it does a Newell plastic shim washer will fix that problem. If you don't use one the bearing will slide over the post and will not completely support the spool shaft on the handle side. The Knurled cup does not allow this to happen. But it will come out of the cup if their is a gap between the clicker gear and bearing. I am using a small spring over the spool shaft to hold the bearing in the cup.

Mine works great without any shims on either side. When the bearings cups are adjusted properly there is no space for them to go anywhere. The're a hair+ away from the spool spindle shoulder. If the frame is a bit big you will a spacer on the handle side.

mikeysm

Here are some pictures of the handle side bearing cap. You can see the post in the first picture. The second picture shows the bearing all the way back in the cup. The bearing slid over the post .050 a shim is needed in back of the bearing to get it back over the post and flush with the bearing cap.