Aluminum Jig Master side plate sets

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

Quote from: PacRat on December 29, 2015, 07:25:10 PM
Alan,
I just dry fit your stainless double-dog bridge into Tom's sideplate and I have a very small bind on one of the dogs. I believe it's the one at 10:00. This is the straighter of the two which is very similar to the stock shape and location. It's nothing that worries me though. A stone and/or a dremel will fix it in just a minute or two. I'm heading out the door but would be happy to photograph this when I fit it. I think it's the little dog-leg where the spring contacts which may be too tight...no big deal though.
-Mike

That is correct. That is not a bridge's issue. If you use the 2 gen sleeve, you will need to shave off a little on the dog spring post (new dog).  

Guys, all these custom parts will/might require a little twist here and there for some the internal parts.

twotone

Alan C your gear and pinon works for me. Stock alum or chrome any size. On Tiburon they work, but you need to follow Sal and Fishtticks post on how its done. Alan I like your products ! Here's a 29m-501
twotone

twotone

That's a 29m-501 spool with your ss pinion.
twotone

Alto Mare

I was not ready to assemble this reel, but Alan gave me a call today and asked to check Tom's new plates with his custom parts, so here is my two cents worth.
Someone mentioned that one of the spring post is too tall, he is correct, but still not tall enough to be causing any issues with the gear or the under the gear washer, if a wider washer is used, I could see that happening.
Here is what I use:

First off, I'm not a fan of the geas sleeve with the flats going all the way down to the ratchet, but I'll use it here for testing purposes

my washer is a delrin, .60mm in thickness and 20.50mm in width
All is good there, no rubbing anywhere, I even tested while cranked all the way.

Someone else mentioned that Alan's pinion didn't fit the Penn spool shaft.
Here it is fully engaged on a Penn red spool

On a Penn black spool

On a Newell spool...still no issue

and on a custom spool

The pinion worked on all shown above

Here is the reel fully assembled

one of the dog if not going back as far as it should, this is creating a tiny stiffness wnemn turnoing the handle, it doesn't bother me and I'm sure it will loosen up with usage.
Tom, your parts are machined as a good Swiss Watch, great job!

spool nice and centered all parts nice and square

The reel works just fine, the clicker is a little stiff, but as I kept turning  the handle is got a little looser.
As Alan mentioned above, these custom parts are made by a few guys, there will always be a minor fine tuning.
I installed the thicker spacer sleeve and the pressure on the dog mentioned above was more noticeable, but still functional.
Tolerance is very tight, place the screws in the spring prior to assembling the yoke, when assembling the other two bridge screws, make sure the lever goes into gear position.
I did not do any fine tuning to this one, I grabbed the parts and put them together.
For what its worth, I hope this is of some help.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Thanks for your checking, Sal. It is all good. The member is sending back those parts for full refund anyway.

twotone

twotone

BMITCH

This is alllll custom stuff..some fitting is to be expected.. Nice reel Sal. These are really nice side plates. Tom you do great work!!!
luck is the residue of design.

swill88

Quote from: Black Pearl on December 30, 2015, 12:15:27 AM
Thanks for your checking, Sal. It is all good. The member is sending back those parts for full refund anyway.

No refund for me! I have found your production tolerances solid.

ie. Your parts are great.

When fitting a multitude of manufactured parts its not too much to need a file, emery cloth, and patience... like hot rodding a car.

It's fun.

steelhead_killer

I had zero problems with my build.  There are more custom parts than OEM parts on my reel and I could not be happier!
><)))">

Alto Mare

Parts on my reel above are from Tom, Alan C. and Adam. I forgot to mention Randy (Vintage Offshore Tackle), I asked if he had a silver frame, when he got back to me he said he had a nice new one.
I told him to hold it and I would send a check in a couple of days, he answered that the frame was on its way ;D...great guy to deal with. 

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

twotone

Oh and thanks for bringing up about the clicker being stiff.
twotone

foakes

Thanks, Tom --

Got 4 to build when time allows.

Thought to keep it basic and simple --

(4) Silver P20s from Randy at Vintage Offshore.

(4) Black 3/0 size handles from the Boss.

(4) Black spools.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Wow Fred!
You went all in on those plates. :o
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Fred, you must feel like a kid in a candy store, don't ask how I know ;D.

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on December 28, 2015, 04:36:04 AM
Ok, so here's what I came up with.
The Tiburon spool is just different enough that it causes problems.
I Used a Newell 99, a Penn 99, and a Tib 99. The Newell and Penn went together fine. The tib just barely centers and spins in the bearings.
Here's the issue:
This is a typical Penn or Newell spool shaft, clicker side. You see the transition from the 1/8" diameter to the peened surface of the clicker ratchet? Well that measures about .035"

Now here is the Tiburon:
They went with a straight shaft all the way to the ratchet and then welded it. That extra length won't allow Mikes spool to center and ride on the bearings correctly. Installing the removable stud is not going to solve the issue. Give me a couple of days to come up with a solution.

Thank you everyone for keeping things civil and positive.

Simple fix!

As I mentioned earlier, the Tib spools have the clicker wheel welded to the shaft. This makes the 1/8" diameter portion of the shaft about 1/32" longer than the others and it allows the bearing cup to contact the clicker wheel. Just a couple of stainless flat washers restore the offset from the clicker wheel.

Anyone who is needs these washers, PM me with you name and address and I will get them out to you free of charge.
The problem is the same for Knurled or standard bearing cups.
Thanks everyone for your patience!
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal