Phenix Abyss PSX-809 Saltwater Rod-Reel?

Started by Big Tim, December 08, 2015, 02:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

I don't do any side work on cars anymore but a friend asked if I would help him with his Pan Head motor rebuild..I couldn't resit. I did make some good $$ on parts he knew I had but when it came to the labor, which to me is a labor of love he offered me more cash & I said I would rather have a  Phenix Abyss PSX-809 Saltwater Rod...This was delivered to me yesterday ;D ;D ;D My question is what reel? The talk of the town is the Lexa 400, ect... I have a Penn Fathom 15 & an Avet MXJ single speed in house already. Both seem to be worthy of of this fine rod. I could easily pick up another 25N 2 speed or a 25N star drag and even change the gears to 4:8.1. I am Leary about the Lexa an admit I am of a lack of knowledge with these low profile baitcasters. What say you ? Who uses this rod ? An I want to be able to catch Yellowtail in June with it.

BT

MarkT

I have 2 of the psw809h but my only Abyss is an 807. It seems to me that the Abyss have a softer action perfect for bait fishing. I use my 809h's for 30# bait or lures with a Lexa 400 and 40#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Let me state this first I don't fish Phenix but I know several people who do. The psw809h seems to be a 30 lb stick for the people I know and they seem to like it at that lb test.

For YT, tuna and other fish where you may get hooked into a larger model and have line ripping off your reel, a reel with a level wind feature would not be my first choice. Sure for smaller schoolie fish they can be fine but lets say your fishing smaller BFT or spring YT when a big fish bites your offering. That little worm gear is going to be moving at a rapped rate and since the gear that drives the worm is always plastic, synthetic or any thing other than metal you most likely have issues sooner or later. This is why I don't fish level wind reels in saltwater. Too many times have I been fishing calico bass then a YT or WSB eats my bait and heads for the hills, no not into the kelp but for open water. This could be an issue for reels with level wind features but not always.

The Fathom 15 should fit the reel nice but the stock handle knob may be a bit too small for 30 lb test, I have a Penn 525 that I fish 25 lb on but I did change the handle on the reel. The Avet MXJ would be a good match IMO, fish this reel at 8-9 lbs at strike, maybe a little less and move the lever past strike, towards full if that larger model does happen to bite and you should be fine.

Now this more of a personal preference. Do you want or need a 2 speed reel to fish 30 lb test? If yes go with a 2 speed if not slap on one of the reels you already have and see which one you like best.

Big Tim

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 08, 2015, 04:44:34 AM
Let me state this first I don't fish Phenix but I know several people who do. The psw809h seems to be a 30 lb stick for the people I know and they seem to like it at that lb test.

For YT, tuna and other fish where you may get hooked into a larger model and have line ripping off your reel, a reel with a level wind feature would not be my first choice. Sure for smaller schoolie fish they can be fine but lets say your fishing smaller BFT or spring YT when a big fish bites your offering. That little worm gear is going to be moving at a rapped rate and since the gear that drives the worm is always plastic, synthetic or any thing other than metal you most likely have issues sooner or later. This is why I don't fish level wind reels in saltwater. Too many times have I been fishing calico bass then a YT or WSB eats my bait and heads for the hills, no not into the kelp but for open water. This could be an issue for reels with level wind features but not always.

The Fathom 15 should fit the reel nice but the stock handle knob may be a bit too small for 30 lb test, I have a Penn 525 that I fish 25 lb on but I did change the handle on the reel. The Avet MXJ would be a good match IMO, fish this reel at 8-9 lbs at strike, maybe a little less and move the lever past strike, towards full if that larger model does happen to bite and you should be fine.

Now this more of a personal preference. Do you want or need a 2 speed reel to fish 30 lb test? If yes go with a 2 speed if not slap on one of the reels you already have and see which one you like best.

I like this  ;D Not thinking a 2 speed is needed for sure on this rod, but let's see what Santa brings...I love both the MXJ and the Fathom 15 for casting and mid range fishing, including bottom fishing. I will try one of them in the next 2 weeks for tossin' swim baits at Lings for Christmas fishing  ;D God bless us all  ;D

BT

alantani

yeah, i think a 30 pound stick.  maybe these guys...

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/coming-soon-new-pro-gear-reel-v50.600182/

or these guys

http://www.truthreels.com/pages/SS

i have a bunch of old progear classic series reels with a 6:1 gear ratio.  they are a tim dang favorite!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on December 08, 2015, 06:23:40 AM
yeah, i think a 30 pound stick. 

http://www.truthreels.com/pages/SS

Thanks Alan...Your'e a reel friend...NOW I can't wait to spend $350 on a Truth SS...Just made the picture my wallpaper  ;D

BT

swill88

I have a 113hn on my 809 abyss and it works well flylining for yellowtail.

SoCalAngler

Tim I was thinking a Squall when I mentioned the handle being to small on the Penn reel. The Fathom has a different handle and should be just fine.