Heads-up: Penn 113H early clicker side bearings

Started by Taily, January 26, 2011, 12:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taily

This may sound a little harsh but this has worked for me trying to remove this drive side (RH) bearing when the old trick of rocking the bearing out with a flat hooked puller wasn't cutting it....

You will need to find a drift or similar (basically a round chisel or old busted old screwdriver or pin punch) that you can grind/linish down to match the inner diameter of the bearing (ie; ground down to a size that is JUST SMALLER than an interference fit, however not so small as to have any freeplay inside the smaller diameter of the bearing) and also have a flat face on the bottom of the tool.

The next step is to fill the cavity inside the cup behind the bearing with as thick a grease as you can find, something along the lines of clay based wheel bearing grease. The idea here is that you are going to compress the grease and form a hydraulic pressure behind the bearing that will force the bearing out of the cup by using a (small) hammer to force the drift down into the grease, therefore forcing the bearing out up the tool you've fashioned. If you made the tool correctly you will only get minimal grease up the shaft of the tool and one small hit with the hammer is usually enough to free the bearing.

I've only tried it once, (which worked!), however these bearing/cup assemblies are still freely available around the place, not like the early left hand plate bearing carriers.   

Nunc est bibendum....

Alto Mare

That's a great tip Taily, I don't see why a hard wood peg wouldn't work as well, you can find many sizes. I'm going to give it a try myself.... when needed. Thanks!
Of course you need to protect the shield , otherwise it defeats the purpose. Placing it on a towel should do it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.