Secrets to Polishing Chrome?

Started by STRIPER LOU, December 09, 2015, 10:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

A while back, someone spoke about using aluminum foil for polishing chrome.
I had purchased a Sailfish 130 that was in great shape except for the base. I think they cleaned the reel after use but never removed it from the reel seat. It was ugly. I tried the usual stuff and only a slight improvement. The aluminum foil really surprised me. Got to work on it some more but it might get to the point where I can tolerate it. Whoever posted it (maybe Fred) not sure ..... Thanks and if anyone has any other polishing tips I'd be glad to give them a try!
.......................Lou

Tightlines667

Simchrome, and Neverdull are good finishing products to use.  I like to treat chrome with the Loctite Chrome restorer (Weak Muratic acid gel) to remove surface corrosion first, then polish with Mothers, Simichrome, or Neverdull.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

STRIPER LOU

John
All I could find is Loctite Naval jelly/rust remover and another gel for aluminum? Nothing to reference a chrome restorer. By any chance do you have a specific name?
thanks,  ..  lou

Sharkin904

if you can find it (parts store) then "white diamond" works amazing. Use it at work a lot, seriously works better than anything I've ever used.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on December 09, 2015, 11:34:32 PM
John
All I could find is Loctite Naval jelly/rust remover and another gel for aluminum? Nothing to reference a chrome restorer. By any chance do you have a specific name?
thanks,  ..  lou
Lou,
I found the Nevr-Dull at Wal Mart.
It will probably be in the auto section. I also use Turtle wax chrome polish.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on December 09, 2015, 11:34:32 PM
John
thanks,  ..  lou

The gel for aluminum is what I am referring to.  Just limit the applications time to under 15mins, and make sure to work in a well ventilated area, and wear latex or Nitrile gloves (prefered).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.