Possible trolling reel

Started by The Great Maudu, December 10, 2015, 02:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

I'm looking around for a reel to ride upon the the 2 piece bamboo boat rod I'm bringing back to life. I found this OC 209 with the narrow spool and am considering it as a possible candidate. I'm also looking at Templars, Fin-nor and anything else which catches my fancy. Any suggestions? I want something you don't see everyday.

Tightlines667

Cool reel!

Pulled this off of the late Robert Ellis's OC site...

"Seattle  No.109,  SW  a 150 yd. narrow spool trolling  a No.209 is also a 150 yd. but it has a different gear ratio

Ocean City "Seattle" No.110 Reel
Narrow spool trolling reels,   two reels are shown the No.? is a 150 yd. size reel,  the No.? is a 200 yd. size reel and the No.110 we do not have a picture of is a 250 yd. size trolling reel."

*The reel Schematic is attached.

Do you have any more information on the rod (i.e. year/era of production, make/model/rating/class, etc..)?

I'm sure you have considered an early Penn 49, 149, 249, or 349.  

An Ocean City/True Temper 112D, Narrow Spool Trolling Reel, (ca. 1960), or similar might also fit the bill.

Might want to also consider Pflueger (like a 1558, or the Captain), a Templar, or even an early Mieselbach (like the  Amateur). 

I  order to recreate a truly period-correct, properly matched rerl.  I would first figure out the period/time frame, then the line class, then the style (Possibly considering regional differences?).  Or, just get a cool, old reel.. clean it up and be done with it. 

The OC 109 is a cool, old reel that fits this bill.  BTW, what is the gear ratio?  A 3:1?

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

The Great Maudu

Thank you for taking the time to get that info and post it. This OC 209 has a gear ratio of 3.25-1. I haven't opened it up yet but it appears to be in fine working order it just needs a good clean and lube. I have some of the reels you suggested like the Mariners and the OC 112. I don't have a Templar, Vom Hofe or Fin Nor yet but I'm looking. I'll check out your other suggestions too.

The bamboo rod has no markings. It is a 2 piece, ferruled in the center and probably a 30-50 lb. weight class. It has no guides as of yet however I have a vintage Mildrum black roller tip with golden eye. I'll probably find some black/gold boat rod guides to match. The metal parts appear to be nickel silver and are in good shape. The rear handle and fore grip are turned hard wood. I have something special in mind to do to them.

I'm not trying to create a period correct piece. I just like fishing with and collecting vintage tackle. This project will give a companion rig for Whiz Bang, lol.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'm looking around for a reel to ride upon the the 2 piece bamboo boat rod I'm bringing back to life. I found this OC 209 with the narrow spool and am considering it as a possible candidate. I'm also looking at Templars, Fin-nor and anything else which catches my fancy. Any suggestions? I want something you don't see everyday.

Well Mike, you sure do not see a 209 everyday. That is a tough reel to find. They were only made in 1949, 1950 and 1951. It is the small end of the OC Seattle family and would go perfect on a early 1950's Montague split cane boat rod. It is a trolling reel but it is so extremely narrow that most people find it very weird. I keep one in my reel cabinet just because of its tall and skinny appearance. Most collectors think it is prototype of some kind. I have never fished with it, I would like to hear your opinion about how it fishes, when you get around to putting the rig together.

coastal_dan

Subscribed to see what you decide, looks like a fun endeavor.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

The Great Maudu

The 209 is really cool. And really weird at the same time. I didn't know the background on it but thank you for that. She looks a little disheveled right now but should clean up nicely. I mounted it on the reel seat the other day and thought this is the one. I have a few special mods in mind though that may cause me to use something else. I plan to have this on the water this coming season and I'll let you know how it goes.

The Great Maudu

Hey Dan! Since you subscribed I'll just keep all posts connected with this project on this thread.

The Great Maudu

This is the bamboo rod I'll rebuild for this project. Everything is tight and in good condition. The old finish will be scraped off and fresh finish will be applied.

Uplocking reel seat. I'm thinking German Silver

Ferrules will clean up nicely