Want to buy a good 501, is this it?

Started by steelhead_killer, December 11, 2015, 02:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Cortez Conv. side plates will come with ss hex screws. Handle arms from Three Se7ens & knobs from many manufacturers, whatever you like. SS spacer from Pro Challenger.

Shark Hunter

Sounds like you have some money to spend. ;D
The Boss is on Vacation, If he were here, I'm sure he tell us to Stifle! :D
Steelhead,
This reel came from a member here. I'm pretty sure it has a steel main gear and an upgraded stack.
Everyone has their own opinion, especially ones that can't afford the mods you are doing.
Not you Al, I've seen some of your hot rods. ;)
Here is what I would do.
Tib frame and Tom's plates. Double dog ss bridge.
ss sleeve, handle and knob.
I sent a PM.
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

Don't forget a plug if you prefer not to have a clicker
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelhead_killer

What are your thoughts on a reel handle and knob?  Seems like several on here are nice.  Any chance to get a green handle and round green knob?  What about a green alum spool to match?  Or am I just dreaming?

><)))">

Shark Hunter

I think your dreaming.
The handle arm from Adam. (Three Se7ens) The Handle knob options are up to you.
You can go aluminum t-bar, round aluminum, Kokelar or eva.
Check out Smooth Drag, Black Pearl, and Alan distributes the Kokelar.
You might also want to check with a builder. Keith(aka handi2) has a stock of all types and I'm sure will sell you one.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

Quote from: steelhead_killer on December 14, 2015, 03:17:14 AM
What are your thoughts on a reel handle and knob?  Seems like several on here are nice.  Any chance to get a green handle and round green knob?  What about a green alum spool to match?  Or am I just dreaming?

Are you any good with a paint brush?? ;D ;D Just kidding, I couldn't resist that.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: steelhead_killer on December 14, 2015, 03:17:14 AM
What about a green alum spool to match?  Or am I just dreaming?

no you are not dreaming, if you have disposable income you can have your aluminum spool refinished by having it anodized or pm Cortez_Conversions and most probably his sources will do it for you. hope this helps! tight lines...

steelhead_killer

Ok here goes---> Reel came with a SS sleeve that fits tight.  When installed the handle is tight, but turning the handle is also more difficult. Like it is binding on the gear sleeve or something.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Andy ???
><)))">

Rancanfish

Sal will tell you just to keep cranking and it will wear / break in after a while.

I have the same issue on a couple.  I just walked around cranking and playing with it.  It gets a bit better.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Sometimes the pin on the gear sleeve does not line up exactly with the bridge post groove -- enough to cause an issue.

Take it apart -- remove the pin -- see if it still binds -- then try it with the pin back in under pressure.

That should determine the problem.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelhead_killer

Thanks Gents!  I will do both!  Happy Holidays!
><)))">

doradoben

Is the reel well lubed? If you view several of Alan's tutorials, you will get the idea.

coastal_dan

Glad you got my old reel :)  As posted in the listing she needs to be lubed, I had it oiled for sitting on the shelf, all grease was removed.  I got it from another member here and ended up going way farther with my Accurate than anticipated, haha.

Looking forward to your progress.  All the best.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

steelhead_killer

Quote from: steelhead_killer on December 13, 2015, 02:14:16 AM
Ok so here goes!  Before I start shelling out cash for parts can I get someone with more experience to confirm what I am ordering?

1.  Bought a Penn 501 - Done
2.  Need to buy the Cortez Conversions side plates and bearing cap- Done
3.  Need to buy a Tiburon P21 topless frame - Done
4.  Need to buy the Pro Challenger Stainless Steel gear set Package C- Done
5.  5+1 Drag Stack from Bryon Young- Already installed
6.  Stainless Steel gear sleeve from Alan Tani- shipped
7.  Stainless Steel Spacer?- Not ordered yet
8.  Handle/Knob from?- Knob EVA, handle is still in limbo,

Thanks for the help!

><)))">