Tight Gear Sleeve

Started by akadashoe, December 11, 2015, 04:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akadashoe

Greetings fellow fanatics and sportsmen,

I just purchased a set of stainless goodies to upgrade a 114H.
I got the stainless gear set from Dawn, and Alan's sleeve from Scotts.
Everything was progressing nicely until I got to the gear sleeve.
After installing the pin, the sleeve is very tight on the stud, and hard to crank.
I've tried greasing it up and reinstalling it several times to no avail.
Am I missing something here?
I also heard mention of something about "sanding one side of the yoke"?
Any other tips would be most definitely appreciated!

Shoe

twotone

I no expert on reels. Their are many here that are. Here is what Ive learned. I now do as (Cone) suggested in another post, file one side of the pin flat. Yes sand the backside of the yoke . Rounded edges up . Check fitment of often. With the plate assembled check to see if the eccentric spring isn't catching on the yoke. Some of the new replacement springs stick out of the eccentric a tad to far. Trim until it clears the yoke. Sorry I don't remember where all the posts are about this. Others can chime in if you need links to them.
twotone

gstours

Hello, and I,m no expert either,    But does the new gearsleeve move freely befire the retaining pin was installed?  Check that first. and then is the pin difficult to install?,  meaning that maybe the pin is putting friction on the gearsleve post somehow.  Sometimes aftermarket parts vary slightly in specs than OEM,s.    Try these 2 areas and you should find the problem.
   If not there are many more eyes and ears here so give us a shout.     gst.

akadashoe

Thanks guys, and yes the sleeve spins freely without the pin.
I'm trying to sand one side of the pin flat without totally removing my fingerprints, and I've got a nice flat spot on the pin, but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.
As soon as I seat the pin all the way into the sleeve, it tightens up.
Fortunately I have another pin if I remove too much material from the other one.
Back at it..........

twotone

Try a small ViseGrip to hold the pin and a small triangle file. Have you tried to soften the flat edges of the pin ? Have you checked the sleeve pin hole for any burrs from machining? To remove burrs I use a awl run it thru until it stops then twist it, then again to the other side of sleeve pin hole , Some sand the top of the bridge post for fitment. If you need another pin let me know. Here is a link . I hope this helps.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15558.msg163540#msg163540

twotone

Shark Hunter

I have run into this problem as well. Seems like more often on the 114H than any other. My usual solution is to use a different bridge.
If that is not an option and the pin filing doesn't work, you will have to sand the bottom of the sleeve until the fit is right.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 11, 2015, 11:52:51 PM
you will have to sand the bottom of the sleeve until the fit is right.
That will do it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akadashoe

Update:
The key was to keep sanding on the pin until it bound up slightly with about 3/16" sticking out out.
From there I used the needle nose vice grips to drive it home and it works perfectly now with no sideplay.
(even though I no longer have any fingerprints on the tips of my index finger or thumb)   :D

Thanks for the tips fellers!