The right rod for the Penn 501

Started by steelhead_killer, December 19, 2015, 12:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

I want to know what you guys are pairing your 501's with on the boat?  Pro's and con's appreciated!  Ho HO HO!
><)))">

Alto Mare

I've been using Ugly Stik 6'6" one piece for a while, I like the feel of the rod, it is a medium heavy action I believe 10-20 lb line... plenty strong. The cost is very reasonable as well.
I have a few Ugly-Stik, they never let me down.
If $ is no object, get one made to your specs, there are a few guys here that do an excellent job.

Here is one of mine:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14432.msg147846#msg147846

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Well, if it's salmon,  I pair it up with the cheapy Shimano 2-piece TDR's.  Caught a lot of salmon with three of them, never a failure. 

Nice and limber, and makes the fish work. My old buddy Sal D. taught me to use the rod and the drag, and never lose a fish.  At least until we go to net it anyway.   ;D

For SF Bay Leopard sharking I match it with a 10-30lb Ugly Stik Tiger rod.  I've used it since about 1980's.  No breaky!

If rockfish or Lings I start to spend money and want a rod with a quicker tip and more backbone, with a trigger handle, like a Seeker Blue Lightning,  which I've also had forever.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Reel 224

Ask Jon V what rod blank he sold me. It would be ideal for that reel.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelhead_killer

Beautiful rod. 

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 19, 2015, 01:15:15 AM
I've been using Ugly Stik 6'6" one piece for a while, I like the feel of the rod, it is a medium heavy action I believe 10-20 lb line... plenty strong. The cost is very reasonable as well.
I have a few Ugly-Stik, they never let me down.
If $ is no object, get one made to your specs, there are a few guys here that do an excellent job.

Here is one of mine:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14432.msg147846#msg147846

Sal

><)))">

Alto Mare

Thank you!...can't take the credit for that one, that was Dwight's " Mr Universe" masterpiece.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.