113h narrow YTS spool rubbing / scrapping problem

Started by steelfish, December 19, 2015, 01:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

guys I have a friend with a YTS with tiburon frame with the problem that the spool is rubbing the bridge post "rivet"
I tried disembled and assembled it many times with the same problem, he used for few weeks with the rubbing sound to the point it was not longer a small sound but louder and uglier sound, you will see in the pics the spool all marked with the rubbing rivet of the bridge.
he told me he bought the reel with the tiburon frame and SS internals, and I know many of you have built some YTS with newell internals so you might have had this issue before and maybe you know where the problem is.

you can see the rubbing mark on the spool, it was actually going deeper on the scratching mark

if you look close you can clearly see the mark on the rivet what was touching the spool

this are the SS gears that were on the reel, do you recognized them as newell or any other brand? yes they are 4:1 ratio

the thing, is when I installed the stock parts on the reel (pinion, main gear and yoke) the reel did ran smoothly and all silence.

the rubbing sound appears only when the reel is engaged, but if you put the reel in free spool and turn the spool it didnt rub at all.

hes now using the reel with the stock main gear/pinion and yoke and he is happy but I still wanted to check how to make this gear work again the way they should.

thanks in advance

The Baja Guy

foakes

Grind down the post rivet a little bit --

Make sure the bridge screws are snug --

Drop a 1/16" or 3/32" SS greased ball bearing into the handle side bearing cup -- if still needed -- this will add just a little spool lift away from the rivet to clear the spool inside.  The size will be determined by what works -- while still engaging with the pinion.

While this is likely frowned upon -- it works.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Quote from: foakes on December 19, 2015, 01:56:44 AM
Grind down the post rivet a little bit --

Make sure the bridge screws are snug --

I did grinded down a bit the rivet but not much I was afraid to make the post weak

the bridge screws are snug

Quote from: foakes on December 19, 2015, 01:56:44 AM
Drop a 1/16" or 3/32" SS greased ball bearing into the handle side bearing cup -- if still needed -- this will add just a little spool lift away from the rivet to clear the spool inside.  The size will be determined by what works -- while still engaging with the pinion.
Fred

hmm I didnt knew you can find bearings with different width, its almost like shiming the bearing, right?

The Baja Guy

RowdyW

In this instance you are shimming the spool slightly to the left.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

RowdyW

I don't think that you need a bearing that is wider. It might cause another interference problem. You probably have wear on the end of the spool that is causing it to go deeper into the bearing. Do what Fred said and plug the bottom of the bearing retainer with a tiny ball bearing or do what I do & cut a couple of tiny pieces out of a beer or soda can  to shim the spool tip. The problem is not the bearing. The spool ends usually get worn from people tightening the left bearing adjustment to tight. That adjustment is NOT a cast control. The spool is supposed to have a few thousandth end play when adjusted properly. If you don't want to do that then get a new spool.

steelfish

Quote from: RowdyW on December 19, 2015, 08:37:40 AM
.....or do what I do & cut a couple of tiny pieces out of a beer or soda

Gotcha, Nice tip...Thanks I will do That asap
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Good tip above.
I've been using leftover cutouts from delrin washers, they work great as spacers.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

check for a bad bearing.  putting a shim washer under the right spool bearing might also work.  i also had one spool that had a loose spool shaft. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

I've had to shim the bearing in the right sideplate. I used a small washer and it did the trick.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

While the original reel that had the 4:1 gears is now using a stock gear/pinion with no problem, I installed this same combo on my 113h

good news is the spool scratching problem is gone on this new reel, but this time I have a grinding noise, now it feels like if the teeth of the pinion and main gear dont mesh perfectly.

if you put the reel in free spool it spins freely, but if you engage the reel it makes the grinding noise not too loud but notorious.
the main isssue is that if you put a bit of pressure on the lip of the spool with your thumb while cranking the reel (engaged) the grinding noise is 3x louder and you actually can feel the gears dont mesh smoothly and also you feel a bit of resistance on the handle.

the right cap/bearing are new, on the left plate I have a accuframe and bearing its a PITA to take it out from the screw-cap, so, I havent been able to tried it with a new left bearing to check if that is the culprit.

do you know or think any other reason while the gears are noisy and feel grinding?

The Baja Guy

steelfish

saw this comment of Alan on BD few years ago..  :'( :'(

Quote from: alantani, post: 258, member: Alan Taninewell gears are horribly noisy.  accurates are smooth as stainless steel an be.  soft brass is the smoothest.

maybe I just need to put some line on it, use it like that for some time and check how it performs in the long run.

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelfish on December 23, 2015, 08:10:26 PM
saw this comment of Alan on BD few years ago..  :'( :'(

Quote from: alantani, post: 258, member: Alan Taninewell gears are horribly noisy.  accurates are smooth as stainless steel an be.  soft brass is the smoothest.

maybe I just need to put some line on it, use it like that for some time and check how it performs in the long run.

That is correct, some nice sized fish will eventually quiet them down.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Now for the unapproved down-n-dirty way I quiet the steel gears without putting in a brass main --- is...

Spool it up with line taped down tight for weight --

Take out the A/R dog and dog spring --

Make sure the gears are dry and not greased --

Attach the reel to my line winder --

-- run it for 5 minutes at 75% power in forward crank
-- run it for 5 minutes at 75% power in reverse
-- run it for 3 minutes at 75% power in forward crank again

Remove the gears -- clean them thoroughly

Reinstall with Shimano or Penn Marine grease liberally

Don't forget to reinstall the dog and spring --

Should be good to go with just a very slight minimum of normal gear noise --

Just works.

Best,

Fred

You also need to get that bearing out that was difficult -- check and replace if necessary.
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Frad no abrasives involved in your method?
car polish?
tooth past?
etc, etc?

just plan metal vs plain metal?

too bad I dont have a spool machine, but since I have many reels to go fishing I will clean the grease for the gears and try your method once the line is spooled and do it by hand.

The Baja Guy