Got Beef?

Started by gstours, December 19, 2015, 05:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is some nice Halibut filets for the freezer........... it was a hoot!

Dominick

Gary how big is your freezer?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

reelrepair123

beautiful  gary,   nice white meat, yum yum.   enjoy.   harryk

STRIPER LOU

Gary, that looks so good I could eat it for breakfast!!!!
...............lou

BMITCH

Quote from: Dominick on December 19, 2015, 05:34:52 AM
Gary how big is your freezer?  Dominick

He lives in Alaska...huge freezer..lol

Nice pic Gary. Looks like you may be set for the winter?? Do you dry any of these fillets for storage??
luck is the residue of design.

Reel 224

Gary: that is great lookin!!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Classic Mako

Chickens in my area (Port Angeles, WA) but at my friend's place below  in Edna Bay  (West side of Price of Wales Island).   

gstours

Thanks for replys and pictures,  ya a lot of friends fish with me, and we eat a lot of fish,  plus I give a lot of fish away,  and I like to catch,em.   Nothing is wasted, as the scraps go in crab and shrimp pots for bait,  even fertilizer in my garden, it an old way of life.

sdlehr

Nice fish! What kind of fight to they give?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Classic Mako

Like reeling up a sheet of lead covered plywood with an eye bolt in the middle to tie the line to.  At boat side, keep the head below the water otherwise you have a "kicking mule" explosion in the water.  Harpoon works best at boat side,  a regular gaff will result in a broken arm on a big one! 

Bring a green one in the boat and it will be a disaster.

Alaska guys like to shoot the big ones in the brain with a .410 Snake Charmer.  I just stick them with a flying gaff and tail rope them, cleat the fish off and cut the gills to bleed out.  Then she comes in to the boat.     Have to keep an eye open for Killer Whales when the fish is cleated and still in the water, that blood trail and noise will bring a killer in on the hunt for a snatch and run. Exciting!

I often fish the Canadian side of the Straits of Juan de Fuca, Gringos not allowed to pack guns on the boat in Canada.

Chickens (About 30 pounds and under) I just net with the big salmon net.

foakes

C. Mako is exactly right --

I have been fortunate enough to fish Southeastern Alaska twice -- Salmon, Lings, and Halibut.

If targeting the barn door Halibut -- it is generally just raise the rod slowly, crank on the down.

This is where a stout, short rod -- a strong reel with greased drags -- heavy line -- and good technique all come together.

Most of the experienced guys like Gary, and others have their own techniques for landing the big guys. 

Some use a 410 or a handgun before tail roping the fish.

There is always the danger of a broken wrist, ankle, being knocked to the deck and hitting your head, etc... -- these big ones are pure muscle.

Amateurs need to listen to the experienced guys -- and remember -- slow is fast -- take your time -- and never get excited -- keep your cool -- work as a team -- always let one experienced guy shoot the round while the Butt is in the water -- that way the newbie won't decide to put another round into the fish when they get it on deck.  And in the heat of adrenaline and battle -- there are no dangers of a loaded weapon in the wrong hands.

For me the best eating are the 25-35 pounders.

Fun fishing -- hope to make it back there some day.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Classic Mako

Yep, chickens are the best!!! Sweet and tender.    The big breeding girls are best released to put out the million or so eggs per year.   Besides the flesh becomes coarse and strong on the big ones if left in the freezer too long.

My halibut spot is a pinnacle averaging 140 feet depth surrounded by 600 foot water.   I jig with 8 to 12 ounce jigs, 8 foot heavy rod, 80 pound braid on a Penn 330 GTI.     Sometimes (If the current is not running strong) I will use a lighter rod, 6 ounce jigs, Penn 320 GTI with 60 pound braid.  The long rod gives more jig action, but a shorter rod is best for handling the big fish.   Sometimes I will fish big baits and heavy sinkers in deeper water.

TomT

On my Alaska halibut fishing experiences---2X in Ketchikan and once in Yakutat, all larger halibut were dispatched by the captain with a 410.   No discussions, no arguments, that is just how it was done.  This, of course, was by 2 different captains.  Your experiences may vary, but worked very well on my trips.
TomT

Alto Mare

Gary, you could own a fish supermarket...you probably already do ;D
I should have asked you to cure me one of those slabs, I make a mean Baccala' with potatoes.
It would have been nice having one of yours for Christmas Eve...maybe next year.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Ya Sal lets talk how to?    Glad you unplugged your internet opened back up.   What did you use, a sewer snake???????????? ha ha jokingly w respect to your honour!