Difference in a Jigmaster and a Senator?

Started by AlasKen, December 21, 2015, 09:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

Can someone explain the difference in a Jigmaster and a senator.  I have a 302, 330 GTI, 113H and a 114H.  I see the tutorials on the jigmaster and curious as to their designed use.  I fish Alaska waters from a boat for rockfish and halibut as well a jigging for salmon.  Rough water we do some trolling for salmon.  Just curious as to the difference as I explore garage sells and run across people selling out their tackle.  As we all know you can't have to many reels.  Thanks.  Ken

foakes

Ken --

You will likely get a lot of opinions on this subject --

From my point of view --

The Senator, like a 3/0, is stronger than a Jigmaster -- if basically stock.  The Senator has a little stronger spool, double sideplate rings, little more line capacity.  It is good for trolling, dropping iron, live bait, etc..

The Jig master has a good all around stock gear ratio of 4:1, quick release sideplate for changeouts of line when needed, good spool, etc.  It is good for iron, surf casting, jigging, etc..

Either of these reels can be upgraded to the max -- but are also very capable as-is.

If set up right, the Jigmaster or 3/0 are very good 30-40 pound reels -- this is true on the Jigmaster if you have installed an aluminum half frame.

Like many on here, over the years, I have done many hundreds of Jigmasters from basic upgrades, frames, spools, drags, power handles, service, modifying into 99s, making them prettier, etc.  This is a tough reel to beat for the price.

IMO, it is the reel that won the West -- just like an old Winchester Lever action 94.

Having said that, I do a lot of 112s and Jigmasters -- so many Jigmasters, that I generally just have lots of used parts in stock for clients.

Anymore, I do not buy parts by the piece for the Jigmasters -- I just buy a half dozen, or so, new reels at a time -- then just strip them down as needed -- plenty of good parts left over that way.  One can buy a new Chinese Jigmaster for $60 to $70 -- and nearly all of the parts fit.  Just price out a gear set, sideplate, or spool, and you will know what I mean.  I do the same with 209s.

Any of the Penns are generally good reels -- and there are some specific differences.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

There are a lot of ins and outs between the two even though some parts can be shared, in general, the Senators use a beefier frame and then can grow to much larger sizes and widths. The Jigmaster comes in one size and two widths (that I know of...).

The Jigmaster also uses bushings rather than bearings and have a variety of gear ratios that are generally faster than older Senators but the detailed list of every particular difference over the years gets long.

Easier to think of the Jigmaster as a 3/0 sized reel for fishing 30#. The Senators start at about the same size, but most commonly are seen at 4/0 for fishing 40#, and then get much larger up to 18/0 or something crazy.

Just a few thoughts

Maxed Out

Hello Ken, the reason why the jigmaster is such a great candidate for drag upgrades is one reason.....the massive diameter of the main gear. Bigger drag washers=more drag. A 3/0 senator has smaller diameter main gear and will never reach the potential drag poundage of a jigmaster.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

basto

I have read a few times about Jigmaster blowups. Can anyone tell me if these blowups are pointed at any one particular section of the reel and if so, what part of the reel is it?
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

RowdyW

A 112 3/0 & 113 4/0 Senator can be be upgraded in the drags by replacing the three 6-113 CF washers with five of the 6-60 CF washers. Then the JM doesn't have the advantage in the drags department & the frames are stronger in the Senators.    Rudy

MarkT

A Jigmaster and a 112h have the same gears & drags. The 112h is bigger in diameter than a Jigmaster.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

I have always seen those reels as brothers, they have almost the same drag and capacities
but jigmaster is focused on casting (hence the name) and the 112h for light trolling and bait fishing.

The Baja Guy

RowdyW

Quote from: MarkT on May 08, 2016, 03:33:40 AM
A Jigmaster and a 112h have the same gears & drags. The 112h is bigger in diameter than a Jigmaster.
The 112 3/0 & 113 4/0 are Senators. The 112H is a SPECIAL Senator. Two different animals.

MarkT

It's simple, the 4/0 and larger, Senators have larger gears, drags and everything else than a Jigaster. A 112h is a Jigmaster with (some) delusions of grandeur by calling itself a Senator.

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on May 08, 2016, 04:08:05 AM
It's simple, the 4/0 and larger, Senators have larger gears, drags and everything else than a Jigaster. A 112h is a Jigmaster with (some) delusions of grandeur by calling itself a Senator.

I like my narrow 112H,

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

RowdyW

3/0 & 4/0 Senators have smaller drags & black plates & the only thing same is the gear sleeve. Also a 2.0 to 1 ratio & smaller main gear & larger pinion gear.

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on May 08, 2016, 04:26:03 AM
With the sexy blue frame?

Yup!  And Pro Challenger guts.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on May 08, 2016, 04:23:03 AM
Quote from: MarkT on May 08, 2016, 04:08:05 AM

I like my narrow 112H,

I have always liked your narrow 112h

I have mine 112h standar size with your hex adapter and near future will be double dogged (I already have Keta SS dogs of course) and narrowed.
The Baja Guy