Nice surprise

Started by The Great Maudu, December 22, 2015, 04:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

Last month an eBay seller sent me an original penn box with the reel I bought and to help it fit in the envelop he cut the box up. Today I received this mint Jigmaster 500M in a great box and a whole bunch of goodies including a nice thank you card, chocolate covered macadamia nuts, a mint crank handle and torpedo knob. Thank you keliiukes2006 for going above and beyond. Best, Mike.

sdlehr

Mike, that's great! Was that the Ebay seller from last month? And I have to ask, based on the line under your avatar, were you more excited about the reel or the chocolate-covered Macadamia nuts?  ;D
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

I met mike this past Saturday Sid. I was expecting the same. He doesn't look anything like his Avatar.
Probably 5'10" 160lbs. ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 22, 2015, 05:19:19 AM
I met mike this past Saturday Sid. I was expecting the same. He doesn't look anything like his Avatar.
Probably 5'10" 160lbs. ;D
Daron, I would never comment on another person's looks. It was the line under the Avatar, "I'd rather be eating" that made me ask. But thanks for the clarification. And yes, I was wondering a little about that avatar, but I suppose now just about anything can be expected from The Great Maudu!
Sid Lehr

Shark Hunter

Sid,
I wouldn't have, but I know the guy. He lives 15 minutes from me. When His Girlfriend and Him sat down with me at my Kitchen Table, that was one of the first things I said to him. " I thought you would be Bigger?"
They made that Avatar from an App on her phone.
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

Sid, that was NOT the butcher of eBay from last month. And I could eat the chocolate covered macadamia nuts. The reel, box and goodies were nice too. I read in Mike C's great Book of Penn History how customers loved opening those boxes and getting all those things and that's how I felt. I did have the privilege of sitting at the Shark Hunters table and watching him work his magic on my 12/0. I had hoped to meet him ever since I started posting here. He gave me a plate he cut for double dogs but since I didn't have an extra bent spring he left the dogging to me with the admonition that if I can do that then I'm on my way. So I have to find a spring. As far as my avatar goes it is doctored a little. Just a fun thing. Merry Christmas.

sdlehr

Merry Christmas, Mike. I like to kid around and have fun, and I don't think you took it wrong at all, but let it be known to all that I will never have ill will in mind as I kid and joke with people. As far as I can tell that is, if not encouraged, at least allowed here. It fits well with who I am.
Sid Lehr

The Great Maudu

Great fisherman have a great sense of humor. I know it's helped me as I strive to become the Worlds Greatest Fisherman. And yes, I do like eating ...

Shark Hunter

Mike,
When I get the stainless spring figured out. I will double dog it for you.
I just wanted you to try. That is the only way you will learn.
Its not that hard, it just takes patience.
Once you succeed, its all over. ;)
The plate you have is good to go with a single ss dog and sleeve.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

No one has noticed a very important item in the picture. The box for the Jigmaster is a 1950's, 500M box. The Jigmaster 500 was introduced in 1959, there was no 500M made that year. A metal spool was offered for the reel in the catalog for an extra $2.50; but, Penn did not build the reel as a 500M model until the Blue Box was introduced in 1960. So, 1959, 500M boxes are rare. In ten years of collecting Penn reels, this is the second one I have ever seen. I owned the first one and sold it about 8 years ago, have never been able to replace it. Have been kicking myself ever since.

Happy Holidays to all!

The Great Maudu

Mike, I think we keep looking at the hula girl on the card and the chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Somewhere in between is a mint Jigmaster 500M and a rare box.

Daron, I'm going to try to double dog that plate. I enjoy learning how to work on these reels. Maybe Santa will bring me a spring.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, I think we keep looking at the hula girl on the card and the chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Somewhere in between is a mint Jigmaster 500M and a rare box.

OK, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

And to all the Tani Tanker's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TOO ;D ;D