Smaller swivel = broken line?

Started by japeto, December 22, 2015, 03:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japeto

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had to increase swivel size to prevent lines from breaking at the knot.  I use Momoi Diamond and Sufix Superior for all my fishing, but both lines seem to prefer larger terminals.  I've done experiments where I've tied 10 rigs using #1 barrel swivels and 10 rigs with 2/0 swivels, all with 50 or 80lb line and uni-knots. The rigs with the larger swivels were consistently stronger, breaking somewhere between 85 & 90% of line rating, whereas I couldn't even get 40% with the rigs using smaller swivels. 

All swivels were Rosco. New and not damaged. Inspected under a magnifying glass.

It really shook me up when all my rigs were breaking--until I moved to a larger swivel.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

sdlehr

I think it's been well-established that the stiffer lines, like the fluorocarbon and others, don't like knots with sharp bends; they fail when crimped sharply. The smaller the swivel, the sharper the bend in the knot.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

bluefish69

Double the line & then make the knot. Then trim the ends. This adds a little cushion for the knot. Some of the pullers [fish for the boat] use this. They take the money most times.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

STRIPER LOU

I use a lot of small Spro Premium 130lb swivels along with 80lb Berkley Big Game. One thing that I've found extremely important is lubing the line and pulling the knot up slowly. I lube it before I put the line into the swivel and after I start the knot. If it doesn't cinch up smoothly or it doesn't feel right, I cut it off and start over. If you see any flatness or out of round condition on the line after the knot is tied its going to be weak. Saliva is OK in a pinch but when I tie at home I have a small spray bottle with a several drops of dishwashing detergent in it that I use. After I wipe the knot off I trim the tag end and give the knot a coat of super glue.
Been doing it this way for a long time. Failure is not an option!!!!
......................Lou

Almost forgot to mention, if you use a clinch knot on occasion, you can go around the swivel twice before you start the twist. Also like Mike had mentioned when using Braid, always double the line and still use the glue.

bluefish69

Lou

Our guys will even double 40# Mono on a Clinch Knot on a Jig.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.