Frame strength

Started by basto, December 23, 2015, 12:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Not a fan of graphite, but kept hearing good things about these reels mentioned above. I actually got me a 320 a while back because of it, didn't use it yet but took it completely apart. Besides the graphite shell, I liked what I saw.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Something has to give:
   The reel is like a chain,  when tested to its max something will fail.  The reel was a modern day example of supplying market demand with a joe average product,   for ya,  joe average.  catching 20# fish w. 25# line probably.
   The graphite frame is here to stay for the economy disposable reels.  The posts like ambassadeur and penn used were part of reel evolution.
   The aluminum frame is not as easily produced, hence the higher cost.  I can remember when I could not afford a 100 dollar reel, and a lot of people cant either.  Later we that fish more can upgrade out equipment when understanding why one reel costs more than the other one that we really like.
   Most people dont replace stuff that they have no problems with.   I have been there too!   Frame flex binds gears,spools and loses a chance of a lifetime fish.   It may never happen, but eliminating flex, is insuring the reel will perform as it was designed to till something else goes.   Sadly you usually get what you pay for,  and more people halve a dime than a dollar.      Hope this helps.   

foakes

Quote from: gstours on January 07, 2016, 03:45:41 PM
Something has to give:
  The reel is like a chain,  when tested to its max something will fail.  The reel was a modern day example of supplying market demand with a joe average product,   for ya,  joe average.  catching 20# fish w. 25# line probably.
  The graphite frame is here to stay for the economy disposable reels.  The posts like ambassadeur and penn used were part of reel evolution.
  The aluminum frame is not as easily produced, hence the higher cost.  I can remember when I could not afford a 100 dollar reel, and a lot of people cant either.  Later we that fish more can upgrade out equipment when understanding why one reel costs more than the other one that we really like.
  Most people dont replace stuff that they have no problems with.   I have been there too!   Frame flex binds gears,spools and loses a chance of a lifetime fish.   It may never happen, but eliminating flex, is insuring the reel will perform as it was designed to till something else goes.   Sadly you usually get what you pay for,  and more people halve a dime than a dollar.      Hope this helps.  

Truer words never spoken, Gary.

A 200 pound halibut is going to flex most equipment for a pretty stout workout.

If fishing for average fish -- no issues -- when either targeting the large fish, or hooking them incidentely -- ones gear must be ready and capable.

Imagine fishing Puerto Vallerta, Costa Rica, Cedros -- then running into a group of hungry cows.

Everything gets a workout to the max -- and what survives is what works.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.