Video from David Hall's gopro. PV trip.

Started by Jon Vadney, December 23, 2015, 07:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

I just threw this together for David.  David had a lot of footage I couldn't use unfortunately because he also has another camera that isn't a gopro and the cineform studio software wasn't able to recognize it.  Enjoy :)

Tightlines667

Good stuff.  Love the first person angles the GoPro afforda.  Nice sound mix too.  Hope that pinion didn't get damaged by cranking while line was being pulled out under pressure.  I guess the cost of a new pinion bearing is negligable.. all things considered.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Thanks Jon and David.  Loved the video.

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 23, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Hope that pinion didn't get damaged by cranking while line was being pulled out under pressure. 

John I never heard of such a thing.  Actually it does not make sense to me.  What difference does it make if you are cranking or the sleeve is against the dog?  All that is going on is the drags are doing their job by slipping.  Most captains yell down from the controls to reel even though the fish is taking line.  I don't waste my energy until I see the spin slowing then I start cranking and putting pressure on the fish.  Would you mind explaining what you mean?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on December 24, 2015, 12:05:59 AM
Thanks Jon and David.  Loved the video.

Hope that pinion didn't get damaged by cranking while line was being pulled out under pressure. 

John I never heard of such a thing.  Actually it does not make sense to me.  What difference does it make if you are cranking or the sleeve is against the dog?  All that is going on is the drags are doing their job by slipping.  Most captains yell down from the controls to reel even though the fish is taking line.  I don't waste my energy until I see the spin slowing then I start cranking and putting pressure on the fish.  Would you mind explaining what you mean?  Dominick

You got some 'splaining to do John! ;D ;D ;D

Big Tim

Tightlines667

Quote from: swill88 on December 24, 2015, 01:14:18 AM
Quote from: Dominick on December 24, 2015, 12:05:59 AM
Thanks Jon and David.  Loved the video.

John I never heard of such a thing.  Actually it does not make sense to me.  What difference does it make if you are cranking or the sleeve is against the dog?  All that is going on is the drags are doing their job by slipping.  Most captains yell down from the controls to reel even though the fish is taking line.  I don't waste my energy until I see the spin slowing then I start cranking and putting pressure on the fish.  Would you mind explaining what you mean?  Dominick

You got some 'splaining to do John! ;D ;D ;D

I see alot of damage to pinion bearings, many times within relatively short service intervals, and when they are still adequately greased and drag settings were maintained by crew within specs.  When asking other reel mechanics what causes this, the universal answer I heard was inexperienced anglers continuing to crank the reel while the fish is running under heavy load.  This seemed to make sense to me intuively and based the techniques for fighting fish that I was taught.

I have been told by a couple of different local 'old timer' big game reel repairman that cranking hard while the reel is fully loaded up is a sure way to damage the load bearing bearing (s) and/or accelerate gear wear/damage.  

I was also taught not to do this when growing up big game fishing.  I remember being told that doing this can result in line twist (with spinners), and added strain on the gear (and angler).  I know when fishing lighter lines for big game this practice can and did result in parted lines.  

Of course in hindsight, I think some of these gear/line failures that occurred while cranking under pressure may have resulted at least in part to the fact that cranking under pressure can lead to spikes in drag-related pressure when a fish surges.  

I know many charter captains instruct the angler to reel constantly, whether or not line is actively paying out under pressure.  Many also instruct clients to keep their 'rod tips up'.  I think the reasons for this are more or less obvious, at least to me.  It is important to maintain pressure on the fish, and to never let any slack in the line.  It is also easier to teach and manage a 'constant winding, hold the rod high' approach then a proper 'short pump and reel' one.

Now why or how exactly the damage to the pinion bearing or gears would occur when cranking as line is being paid out under pressure may be up for debate.  

With respect to the pinion bearing, damage to it results from excessive side loads, in combination with turning the bearing.  The damage is more likely to result from adding quick/jerky spikes or changes in side load pressure, and/or varying the speed and direction of spin when the bearing is under heavy load.  Obviously excessive friction caused by improper lubrication, foreign matter present, or worn bearing components would also be a major factor.

Cranking under load will definately cause more moving parts (spool shaft, pinion and main gears), as opposed to just the spool and its drag components turning.  I can also envision the bearing turning back and forth over the same area until the friction or force of the drag components is overcome and the drag slips.  It seems to me that when the line is paying out under pressure in a lever drag reel, the gears are in constant mesh and when held in place they are likely to bear a much higher load then when they are turning.  I would expect damage to gears is more likely while turning them or shifting and turning them when under heavy load verses staying stationary.  

I guess I am not exactly sure of the mechanics or physics as to why damage or wear to reel components is more likely to occur when reeling under greater pressures, but intuitively I feel that it would be best practice not to crank when line is being pulled off under heavy loads.  Likewise, I think dropping the reel on its side when under heavy load is intuitively bad for it as well.  

I would not hesitate to push the drag lever to the full setting when needed, but I would try not to crank under these extreme settings.  It can be used to slow and eventually stop a run, then the lever can be pulled back to a more reasonable strike setting once the fish has turned, and line can be retrieved.  

I guess part of this boils down to the 'best practices' that I was taught by seasoned anglers, part is based on what reel mechanics have told me or confirmed my way of thinking, and part is just based on my own observations of damaged reel components, and part on my basic intuition.  Not sure I have the 'why' part figured out, but I think fishing the reel within specs, keeping things well lubricated, smooth, steady, and cool will decrease the chance of excessive wear or premature failure of components.  Also there are ways to use the tool to maximum efficiency.  Using low gear to achieve more power on a retrieve immediately comes to mind.

I certainly don't mean to be overly critical of David's fish fighting technique.  Looks to me like you had a pretty experienced group of guys there and those fish were dealt with quite handily.  

Also, this might be a discussion better served in a different thread.

Great video, and report.  Thanks for taking us along for the ride!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.