Salmon Fishing Tutorial - My wife and her friend

Started by steelhead_killer, December 24, 2015, 02:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Dominick

That is hysterical.  Didn't anyone have a net?  What was the story about the flood?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Dominick on December 24, 2015, 04:28:01 AM
That is hysterical.  Didn't anyone have a net?  What was the story about the flood?  Dominick

Dom, here in northwest Washington it is normal for low lying areas to flood this time of year and those fish would be rotten old chum crossing the road. Your dog wouldn't eat that stuff.

BTW, the next time you see "keta" smoked salmon, that's what you're getting, junk Chum. Nobody would buy smoked chum salmon, so some brilliant marketer called it keta, and now those that don't know any better, think they're eating the finest, when it's actually mostly used for cat food.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelhead_killer

Dom they begged me for a net but I just would not give it to them.  Besides what would we have done if they caught one?  We wold all probably be in jail.  :D  At least the salmon still had the advantage! 
><)))">

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 24, 2015, 09:47:49 AM
Is that how Lee got his name?

My guess would be yes Daron, ..but what do I know ??.................Answer: nuttin honey

borchcl

Ron Jones

I really like smoked chum salmon when it is taken out of saltwater and taken cared of carefully. It has a drker flesh that is less "salmony"
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Now I wish Lee would weigh in on the name because that was my first reaction.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I sent him a message earlier today. We will get to the bottom of this. :D
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on December 24, 2015, 11:16:13 PM
Now I wish Lee would weigh in on the name because that was my first reaction.  Dominick

Actually it came from the Keta River in SE Alaska (Misty Fjords NM)where I spent a lot of time steelhead fishing and I had the IGFA 6kg record chum salmon for many years.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Quote from: Keta on December 25, 2015, 08:40:48 PM
Now I wish Lee would weigh in on the name because that was my first reaction.  Dominick

Actually it came from the Keta River in SE Alaska (Misty Fjords NM)where I spent a lot of time steelhead fishing and I had the IGFA 6kg record chum salmon for many years.

So is that how chum salmon was named Keta ?? After the Keta River ??

How big was your record chum salmon Lee ??

Tightlines667

Quote from: Keta on December 25, 2015, 08:40:48 PM

Ah... I knew there was a perfectly logical explanation.  Now there is a name that makes alot of sense. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

whalebreath

Quote from: noyb72 on December 24, 2015, 11:10:20 PMI really like smoked chum salmon when it is taken out of saltwater and taken cared of carefully. It has a darker flesh that is less "salmony"...
Quite agree-lower fat Salmon takes smoke quite well if a careful person is doing the processing.
Quote from: Max Doubt on December 24, 2015, 04:40:25 AMBTW, the next time you see "keta" smoked salmon, that's what you're getting, junk Chum. Nobody would buy smoked chum salmon, so some brilliant marketer called it keta, and now those that don't know any better, think they're eating the finest, when it's actually mostly used for cat food.
Nothing could be further from the truth keta is the scientific name and comes from the Evenki language of Eastern Siberia via Russian.

FWIW-Last Saturday I was on a local fish sales dock-frozen Chums were selling for $15/each and business was brisk.